Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

older G4 Macs

Solved!

older G4 Macs

Spotify still works on my G4 laptop but the message every day that "spotify updates will no longer be available soon on this platform" worry me - should I be thinking of selling my lovely laptop sometime soon? I can't find a full length explanation of what is about to happen anywhere - could Richard C etc please expand?

61 Replies

Thank you so much for posting the link to the download for G4. It put the icon right in my dock! However, when I type in my username and password to log in to my Spotify account, I get a message that one of them is incorrect. I know they are correct, because I used them to log in to this Spotify website.

When I click on the "forgot your password" link and enter my username, I get the message that "The username you provided is not associated with an active Spotify account."

When I enter my email address instead, I get the message "It looks like you are using your Facebook credentials to log in to Spotify. To change your Facebook password go to your settings page at facebook.com." I don't want to change my facebook password, but I did it anyway, hoping it would work. It didn't.

Why doesn't Spotify on my Mac recognize my password? The website promises that I can listen to my Spotify playlists on any computer, but it doesn't work. I tried logging on to Spotify on my son's HP, but even though I enter my login info, I get only his playlists.

Any ideas?

Mardeen,

It sounds like you are using one of the newer Facebook created accounts. Support for this was introduced in newer versions of the Spotify app. However, as you are using an older version, this form of login is not supported on Macs using PowerPC processors or running on OSX 10.4.x or lower.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Well, then, what can we do?

I've got the same problem than Mardeen. Is there nothing we can do?

Hi, I'm a new user to spotify and am having the same problem with logging in. However I think I figured it out.

Click on your name in the upper right hand corner of the screen and select "Overview." Shown under your real name is your username which should be a whole bunch of digits. Now you have to set up a password...

Select "Edit your profile" then select "Set a password for your devices." You'll be prompted to click the button "Send e-mail to set password." Follow the directions and use your username and the new password you set up to login to the spotify app on your computer.

Hopefully this helps.

@rollins you're the best.  thanks for "figuring it out" for all of us.  I had given up on Spotify until your post.  Now I'm happily listening and enjoying!  Without you it wouldn't be possible.  Three cheers for Rollins!  Hip, Hip, Hooray!

I, too, wish to thank you Rollins for figuring this out. You, Sir (or Madam), are a gentleman and a scholar. However I want to add a few details to what you shared.

First, the username I found in my account, along with the password I set according to your indications, did not work in the current  Windows Spotify client. This dampened my enthusiasm, as the website indicated it was for "devices" and not for desktop computers. I almost didn't try it at all on my Mac, so pessimistic was I about its possible success.

When I finally did try it on my old Powerbook, it took the credentials but seemed to hang a long time on the login window. Then I noticed that the "Logging in ..." message changed to "Updating ..." before suddenly changing color from green to white and showing the new logo rather than the old one: 

Picture 05.png     Picture 06.png     Picture 07.png

Then a newer version of the login window returned, but with the message that login had failed. How disappointing! after all that. But I noticed it was till displaying my Spotify username, but that, unlike before, it was advertising the option of using my Facebook credentials to log in. I tried that, and it worked.

Picture 08.png     Picture 09.png     Picture 10.png

Picture 11.png

The Facebook credentials it didn't like before, it now accepts. But only after creating a Spotify password and logging in with my Spotify username, then waiting for it to update itself ... to a version that won't accept a Spotify username. Go figure. I'm still a little surprised that I have Spotify now on my old G4 Aluminum. I only mention it all because there were a couple of ponts where I might easily have given up out of disappointment or just impatience. I wanted anyone else out there, trying to make this work, to know they should be patient and let the steps unfold in their own time. (I repeated the process on my kid's eMac to confirm it and get the screenshots.)

Anyway, thank you Rollins and three cheers for figuring out for us how to have our music on our beloved older hardware. Woo-hoo!

Woody

p.s. I know you can see my email address in the screenshot. That's OK.

Yes, I am in agreement.  I believe that Spotify is removing a large community of users by not supporting PPC/ Tiger OS and the like.  Maybe they're doing well enough with out us.  Maybe they don't need the business.  In any case, we're happy and we can do without Spotify, and not be bullied into a constant "upgrading" agenda. 

This appears to have worked for me. Many thanks.

I spoke too soon. It just quit right after log-in. Spotify is forcing me to spend £1,000 on a new Mac. This is absurd.

Do U mean spotify will be avail at a later date for Mac 10.5 intel? I know its not avail now cuz I've been try'n 2mths 2 DL it 2 my Mac 10.5 intel n no go.

Thanks you so much ! J'ai Spotify sur mon Mac 10.4.11. Merci pour le "link"...

I run OSX 10.5.6 on my iMac, but Spotify won't download. I can only use it on my iPhone. Any help would be appreciated. Could you email me here, please?

David Bruce
[Snip.. Super User]@DavidBruceMusic.com 

@user-removed wrote:

I run OSX 10.5.6 on my iMac, but Spotify won't download. I can only use it on my iPhone. Any help would be appreciated. Could you email me here, please?

David Bruce
[Snip.. Super User]@DavidBruceMusic.com 

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

I am going to remove your email address from your post, best to keep those details out of the public eye!

Mac OS X 10.5.x is no longer being supported by Spotify, have a read at this post which has a work around on how to get a client again. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Why?? I'm stoked to pay for this, before it gets taken off the web, and am telling everyone to get Spotify and leave Pandora! LOL! I have 5000 people on Facebook, a ton on Instagram, and my web presence is pretty big in some circles because of my last album. Heck, I even put my last girlfriend's album on Spotify! Katie Howell! 

Thanks for the email info. I don't care if that's up here. I get a ton of email from fans anyway. 

Peace!
DB
www.DavidBruceMusic.com 

I have an iMac G5 running 10.5.8 Leopard. My version of Spotify (0.6.6.10.gbd39032a) still works completely fine. I downloaded it when Spotify was supported for it. My brother has an iMac G4 with 10.5.8 and his still works completely fine with Spotify too. Both of us have the message "In a few months , Spotify will no longer be available for your platform" but that has been coming up everytime for about 2 years. My suggestion to sort your problem out would be too download an older version. I have looked and have found this website but I'm not sure if this is for intel or powerpc macs but it's worth a try. Make sure to select a version that's older than mine: http://mac.filehorse.com/download-spotify/161/

Also try this but still not sure if it would work with powerpc:

http://download.cnet.com/Spotify/3000-2141_4-10912448.html

Let everyone know if either of these work and if not, try searching for other old versions in different places.

Hope this helps.

I LOVE YOU SIR

Many thanks Rollins - after carefully following your note's directions I was amazed that Spotify started to work on my old G4.  I had really been wanting to listen to a particular playlist I had stored on my work computer, and now I am able to have that neuromedicine.  I had practically given up hope, thinking the old Safari was Safari Leper, but your tips guided me through.

Thank you!!!

If anybody reads this, keep trying and follow Rollins instructions and it'll work!

Thanks Ishy - this worked perfectly for me. After starting up it updated to ver 0.6.6.10.gbd39032a which is working sweet on an old iMac G4 running Leopard.

Happy new year !

Thank you so much for keeping this available here - I've just downloaded Spotify onto my Powerbook G4 running OSX 10.5.8 and so far its working. I'm preparing for my son's 17th birthday party this weekend, and don't want my newer devices anywhere near the party scene!

Have just got Spotify Premium and so glad I can use it on my old, but much loved, PBG4, too soon to know if it will keep trying to update and freeze as others have mentioned.

Thanks again, I appreciate your public service!

Opened my old and tired Powerbook G4 in order to copy a DVD and much to my amazement Spotify is still working. It complains a bit about not being able to logon to Facebook and not to logon to the last.fm scrubbling server, but you can just neglect that.

It feels a very logical thing to do to use old hardware next to your stereo set for streaming purposes. It would be so nice to have Spotify available for some time longer. After all, the processing power of an old Powerbook is still better than embedded hardware from a modern 'streaming amplifier'. 

Suggested posts