Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

older G4 Macs

Solved!

older G4 Macs

Spotify still works on my G4 laptop but the message every day that "spotify updates will no longer be available soon on this platform" worry me - should I be thinking of selling my lovely laptop sometime soon? I can't find a full length explanation of what is about to happen anywhere - could Richard C etc please expand?

61 Replies

I like to think of myself as "operating system agnostic" -- a recent newcomer to Spotify, I use it on XP and Ubuntu Linux. All my Macs are PPC. Today I obtained the PPC software and installed it, but it will not log in to my account. Is anyone still successfully using Spotify on PPC?

I am still using Spotify on my G4 Powerbook, but in order to keep it working, I have to avoid any updates, and as you can see from my previous posts here, I am trying unsuccessfully to get Spotify management to tell me if it will soon stop.

I imagine that if you are starting now, the version of software available will not work on PPCs.

No, I have the older software, not the current official release, and it does run -- it just will not accept my credentials. The new software will not run on PPC at all. I suspect the reason is because my Spotify account is associated with my Facebook account, and the PPC software will not accept Facebook credentials to log in. I will have to see if I can get my account "dis-associated" from Facebook, and try again.

Woody

Looks like I'm out of luck -- from what I can gather, all new accounts have to be associated with a FB account. I would have to have an older account, "grandfathered in" without FB, to be able to log in with the PPC software. Shame.

I am having same problem here. I wish they would just let us use it the way it was-I  pay them every month for a service and now it changes. I am not on facebook either-so I suspect that will be the next thing.......

The irony that is I have some music on spotify myself-made with an "obsolete" G5 which is way faster than the latest powerbook I got last year. 

Oh well looks like spotify have lost a customer-and Ive lost a LOT of hours making up playlists!

And they still support XP.

To be fair to Spotify, there are very few apps now that are compatibe with Mac OS Tiger (or earlier). They should rename it OS Leper - the OS shunned by everyone Man Tongue

. They should rename it OS Leper - the OS shunned by everyone Man Tongue

Smiley Very Happy

Marked as solution

I use this version of Spotify on my G$ Mac. Works fine for me, though I am not on Facebook. Whether that would make any difference I do not know.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3774256/Spotify.dmg

thank you, couldnt find this anywhere!

crap... I have an older PowerPC as well and I just tried downloading the Spotify app and it's in french! lol... anyone know of an english version or how to change it from french to english? Maybe it's Spotify's secret ploy to outsmart us older mac users? Ha! Any tips, please let me know. Thanks!

Thanks for posting this.  I am so annoyed with all of the many limitations of 10.4.  I can't afford to upgrade at this time, and everything works just fine on my computer, except for the growing number of unsupported apps (like Spotify.)  It's always a welcome find when an old version that supports 10.4 is uncovered.

Thank you so much Ishy!

it didn't work.  the old version someone posted will run on 10.4 but won't allow any login.  boo.

James, it is working on mine... Maybe have another try? I don't know why it's working, and it still has the warning at the top saying in a few months this platform will not be supported etc. Good luck

@stevenson_kari wrote:

crap... I have an older PowerPC as well and I just tried downloading the Spotify app and it's in french! lol... anyone know of an english version or how to change it from french to english? Maybe it's Spotify's secret ploy to outsmart us older mac users? Ha! Any tips, please let me know. Thanks!

Sure do. Pop into the Preferences menu and try changing the language settings from "Auto Detect" to English. 

Screen Shot 2012-05-22 at 7.30.00 AM.png

Airhorn Enthusiast

Thanks Ishy!

I'm running 10.4.11 and Spotify automatically updated to a version that didn't work on my computer. I was looking for the old version. Thanks so much for providing a download!

- Aretia

Nope, not working.  I tried it again and again... every possible login variant.  No go.

I can run the app, but once it opens it asks for a login and none will work.  This old version of the app does not support Facebook Credentials as a login.  It asks you to use a "username" but since Spotify no longer uses usernames, you won't be able to get past the login screen.  That is, unless you have an old login from before they went "all Facebook."

THANK YOU! Smiley Very Happy

Been looking for this in two days, now i can finaly enjoy Spotify on my iMac G5 i've repaired!

Big ups! 

//Tommy

dude! you rock!!!!

Suggested posts