Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

playlist sorting does not remember - when you click away spotify forgets sorting

playlist sorting does not remember - when you click away spotify forgets sorting

Plan - Premium

Free/Premium

Country USA

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

Mac OS Catalina10.15.6

My Question or Issue

Spotify does not remember custom sorting on playlists.

When I click to sort my playlists (which I typically sort by most recently added) Then I click away to look at another playlist or click anything else in the sidebar on the left side, once I click back to that original playlist I sorted, the sorting order is not remembered and always defaults to something else.

This happens on Mac Os Catalina on my MacBook Pro.

This did not happen on the previous version of Spotify before the last update in late November 2020.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thanks.

7 Replies

Me too! Mac OS Mojave on MacBook Pro, Mid 2014

development: i installed an older version of spotify (which resulted in worse glitches and bugs) but updated to the latest version using the "about spotify" option within the app. restarting the app after this fixed the issue...until I restarted the app a second time, and it's back to not remembering the sort. i've done the above step twice and got the same result.

This worked for years. I always sort my playlists to show the most recently added songs first because thats my current jams. Please remember playlist sort. This is driving me mad rn ngl smh

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

If you're experiencing this after a recent update of the Desktop app, you might be seeing the New Desktop Experience client. You can head over to this Thread to leave your Feedback on what can be improved. Our devs are looking for direct user feedback.

If your client still looks the same as before, we'd recommend logging out and back in twice, as this will force-sync your account with the servers. You should also perform a clean reinstall of the app, as corrupted cache might be causing issues with the app remembering your sorting. 

Let us know how you get on with this.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Alex, I assume your "this thread" was supposed to link to here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/New-Desktop-Experience-your-feedback-wanted/td-p/50... 

Anyway, I think everyone in this thread will be happy to see the below bug including in the list of fixes included in the upcoming Nov 30 update:

• “Sort preferences for playlists are not persisted”

Problem solved tomorrow, hopefully.

I'm still having this issue years later.  I make a playlist folder, make a bunch of playlists inside the folder, click the custom sort option, click out of the folder and right back in, and my playlists are sorted by recent.  It doesn't save.

Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.2.20.1216.ge7a7b92f

Hi @4g_-m5yqyc9fk,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

To begin with, make sure you run a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device. You won't lose any content. You could also try logging in with a different account to check if you have the same issue from there. It could be a family member or friend's account.

On another note, send over the Spotify version you are currently running.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply!

Susan_GPModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts