Cant play any songs i haven't listened to before

Solved!

Cant play any songs i haven't listened to before

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I'm always looking for new music to listen to but recently i have come across an extremely annoying problem on my laptop just after buying spotify premium. I can listen to songs that are already in my playlists but if i ever search up a song or want to listen to something new it shows up as the image shown below, the album cover doesn't show up, the song wont play and if i add the song to a playlist it doesn't show up. The same problem also happens on web player but i have zero problems when using spotify on my phone. I have uninstalled it and but the problem comes back after a few minutes of using it. I hope someone can help me with this issue 

big problem .jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Flyingllamba

I'd suggest checking your hosts file. I've seen that issue before and the most likely cause is network being restricted or filtered.

It's easy to check your hosts file, you just need admin rights. 🙂

1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like

0.0.0.0 website.com
127.0.0.1 website2.com

Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:

0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com
0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net 

(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.

You can also try removing all lines to see what happens.

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Flyingllamba

I'd suggest checking your hosts file. I've seen that issue before and the most likely cause is network being restricted or filtered.

It's easy to check your hosts file, you just need admin rights. 🙂

1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like

0.0.0.0 website.com
127.0.0.1 website2.com

Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:

0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com
0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net 

(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.

You can also try removing all lines to see what happens.

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey It worked for me aswell Thanks man I'm really glad I Found your answer 

Now I Can Play anything

Thank you so much! It worked perfectly! I've had this problem for weeks and I was about to ask about this as well!

Hi, I've tried the method you suggested. There is no address in my hosts file, and yet the problem keeps on. Do you have any suggestion on how can I solve this?

No clue how this worked. My "hosts" file was full of sample text with # in front of each. No mention of Spotify or Fastly. I just deleted everything and suddenly I can play songs on Spotify. Really weird.

Suggested posts