Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloading Nothing

Solved!

Downloading Nothing

I've been using Spotify, but just today downloaded the PC software. On the task bar, it shows a green progress bar as if it were downloading something, but it never changes from the minimum, and no songs are set to be downloaded, nor are any currently downloaded. Closing Spotify doesn't actually close it; it keeps running in the background trying to complete this non-existent download, thus I can't re-open Spotify without first force-killing the process. I'm running Windows 7. Also, as a side question: I set up my account using FB; can I disassociate the account with FB and/or change the numerical name given to my account?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@Masonjar13

Another thing that may cause something like this is Local Files.

Go to menu dots - Edit  Preferences - Local Files and uncheck all locations available there.

You can also try disabling hardware acceleration. That's under the View menu, and toggling it will restart the client.

(the green stripe is a very common bug. No known fix for this yet. I saw one user has replaced the icon that made the green bar go away. I figure that replacing the Spotify icon with a(nother) Spotify icon might actually work. This HowToGeek article guides how to do it.
I also don't know if it remains changed after the client updates.)

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hey @Masonjar13, welcome to the Community!

The green stripe on the tray button is always present and it doesn't really mean anything. I've also been having it for a few months already. 🙂

This other issue you're having with the client is a bit funny though.
You can set Spotify to close when the red X button is pressed - it's in Preferences.

Click the Menu dots - Edit - Preferences - scroll down and open Advanced Settings - Startup and Window Behaviour.

Disable (turn grey) the setting for "Close button should minimize the Spotify window to the tray".

About the Facebook question - it's currently not possible to separate Spotify from Facebook when you used FB to set Spotify up. The numerical value is your Spotify username, but the client should bring your Facebook name in its place. Your friends can find you by your Facebook name.

Let me know hwo you get on!

SebastySpotify Star

@Sebasty
The green stripe on the tray button is always present and it doesn't really mean anything.

That's poor software design and should be considered a bug, if not explicitly a bug.

@Sebasty
You can set Spotify to close when the red X button is pressed - it's in Preferences.

I'm well aware of this; they actually make this a first-time-open pop-up, which is courteous.

That's not what I was referring to, however. It was already set to close on X, and was not present in the icon tray after doing so. However, by checking the processes (I use Process Explorer), 3 instances of Spotify would still be running. Attempting to re-open Spotify with it running in that state will throw an error (see attached image; the 4th process is the error window).

@Sebasty

About the Facebook question - it's currently not possible to separate Spotify from Facebook when you used FB to set Spotify up.

That's unfortunate, but kind of what I expected.

Thank you for your response. So far, these processes will not close on their own after upwards of 20 minutes, effectively making the app more trouble than it's worth. Is this a known issue? I didn't find anything after a few searches.

spotify_straychild.png
Marked as solution

@Masonjar13

Another thing that may cause something like this is Local Files.

Go to menu dots - Edit  Preferences - Local Files and uncheck all locations available there.

You can also try disabling hardware acceleration. That's under the View menu, and toggling it will restart the client.

(the green stripe is a very common bug. No known fix for this yet. I saw one user has replaced the icon that made the green bar go away. I figure that replacing the Spotify icon with a(nother) Spotify icon might actually work. This HowToGeek article guides how to do it.
I also don't know if it remains changed after the client updates.)

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star

.. Alright, well one of the first things I did was disable local files, during the first run. Going back to the settings, they apparently decided not to save that. I disabled them once again, closed it a few times to make sure it actually saved this time, and it did. This seems to have fixed the issue. It's no longer taking up 12% of my CPU and terminating when closed normally.

The software has a ways to go in terms of stability and bugs.. In any case, thank you for the replies.

Suggested posts