Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can i delete local files from spotify

Solved!

How can i delete local files from spotify

Hello, i have a question. How can i delete the local files from spotify. i already deactivated all locations on the properties and i changed all folder names. spotify still shows all songs but doesn´t play any of it. but how can i kick them out of my sight? 

And also there are a few songs who play but who doesn´t seem to be local files, because spotify don´t show me a folder where the song is. 

anyone know a solution except deinstall?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Richman1987,

Welcome to Spotify Community!

You will have to delete your local-files cache. Just follow the guide below.

1. Close Spotify
  2. Navigate to "%appdata%\Spotify\Users\in your file browser.
  3. There should be a folder "username-user" - enter the folder.
  4. Delete the file named "local-files.bnk"
  5. Start Spotify

Let me know if you encounter any problems : - )

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

in macOS this works in a similar manner:

1. Close Spotify
  2. Navigate to "/Users/your_username/Spotify/Users/" in your file browser (where your_username must be changed to your actual user name)
  3. There should be a folder "your_spotify_username-user", enter the folder (where your_spotify_username must be changed to your actual Spotify user name)
  4. Delete the file named local-files.bnk
  5. Start Spotify
Matteo Nicoletti

Marked as solution

On my Mac (with Sierra and Spotify 1.0.58...), the following worked:

1. Close Spotify

2. Navigate to "/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Spotify/Users/seemingly-random-numbers-and-letters-user/" ***

3. Delete the file named local-files.bnk

4. Start Spotify

*** If you can't find this folder, here are two ways to get to it:

A. Open Finder. Click "Go" in the menu bar and hold down the "option" key. "Library" will appear. Click it, navigate to "Application Support/Spotify/Users/" etc.

B. Open Finder. Click "Go" in the menu bar and "Go to Folder...". Enter "/Users/username/Library/", then click "Go". Navigate to "Application Support/Spotify/Users/" etc.

45 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Richman1987,

Welcome to Spotify Community!

You will have to delete your local-files cache. Just follow the guide below.

1. Close Spotify
  2. Navigate to "%appdata%\Spotify\Users\in your file browser.
  3. There should be a folder "username-user" - enter the folder.
  4. Delete the file named "local-files.bnk"
  5. Start Spotify

Let me know if you encounter any problems : - )

I cannot for the life of me find this folder, I have searched everywhere in my files with no luck. I am having the same issue though, Spotify playing local files, even though I have iTunes set up to not share music.

it works!  thank you

Hi coltonmorris,

The %appdata% folder is actually a hidden folder, so unless you have "Show hidden folders and files" enabled, you won't see it. You can, however, copy and paste "%appdata%\Spotify\Users\" into the navigation bar of your file browser and it will take you there (see the image I attached to where you should type or copy/paste this address.

image.PNG

How do I do this within MacOS Sierra? I've already removed the app and reinstalled it but the Local Files didn't get removed.

Gwaii, maybe someone who knows OSX (I don't) can help.  But in general, removing apps usually does not remove all its related files, so a re-installation of the app will still use that previous install's pointer to the music files.  That file needs to be removed "by hand".

Marked as solution

in macOS this works in a similar manner:

1. Close Spotify
  2. Navigate to "/Users/your_username/Spotify/Users/" in your file browser (where your_username must be changed to your actual user name)
  3. There should be a folder "your_spotify_username-user", enter the folder (where your_spotify_username must be changed to your actual Spotify user name)
  4. Delete the file named local-files.bnk
  5. Start Spotify
Matteo Nicoletti

It's actually located here on Mac:

/Users/YourName/Library/Application Support/Spotify/Users/YourName-user

However even reinstalling Spotify and deleting that entire spotify directory did not solve my problem.

Update: Some MacOS users will find their Local Files stored here 

/Users/*your username*/Library/Application Support/Spotify/Users/*yournumbers*-user

Same thing though. Look for local-files.bnk Delete it.

I did this because not all my files were showing up. Deleting it allowed it to reload and now all my local files are present. 

Hello, I hope someone can provide more guidance on this.  I do not even have/see a folder called Library in my user folder.  Suggestions?  Thx.

Mac or PC?

Mac

Nope

Marked as solution

On my Mac (with Sierra and Spotify 1.0.58...), the following worked:

1. Close Spotify

2. Navigate to "/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Spotify/Users/seemingly-random-numbers-and-letters-user/" ***

3. Delete the file named local-files.bnk

4. Start Spotify

*** If you can't find this folder, here are two ways to get to it:

A. Open Finder. Click "Go" in the menu bar and hold down the "option" key. "Library" will appear. Click it, navigate to "Application Support/Spotify/Users/" etc.

B. Open Finder. Click "Go" in the menu bar and "Go to Folder...". Enter "/Users/username/Library/", then click "Go". Navigate to "Application Support/Spotify/Users/" etc.

See my post above for ways to navigate to the Library folder.

On the desktop app, if you go to settings and scroll down, there is a header called local files. You can turn the local files off from your music, itunes and dowloads on that! 

where can i find the file browser? are we doing it through computer or through the spotify app on computer

i dont have a spotify folder under  "library/application support" ??? i have scoured my mac and gone to all the locations mentioned in this thread but the folder "local-files.bnk" is literally no where to be found? no matter how many times i completely delete spotify and re-install it, the local file bank is completely non existant and i am dESPERATE to delete all my local files beacause barely any of them are playable and if i use one of those songs in a playlist, even if the song isn't directly from my local files but is from an artist on spotify itself, having that same song in my local files that is for some reason unplayable means i can't play the song at all (again even if it is on spotify and it's on the artist page, it is unplayable). i also have a bunch of random audio files from my laptop that i never added to my local files (at least not to my knowledge) and i can't remove them either. i have turned off all sources for my local files in spotify settings but that doesn't remove them either and im so frustrated!!!! does anyone know any solutions if i dont have the file "local-files.bnk" anywhere on my laptop (mac)??

same here

please help!

Suggested posts