Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I make spotify links from the internet open in my desktop client (Win 10)?

How do I make spotify links from the internet open in my desktop client (Win 10)?

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I love sharing songs with my friends over Discord and the like but it's really awkward to have to copy and paste the link into my client. Clicking the link opens it in the web app which I do not want. My girlfriend keeps asking me this too and I have no idea - and it's the prime reason she isn't using Spotify more.

Looking online (and I've searched a lot), people keep mentioning that this is an option in the settings somewhere, but I can't find it in the desktop app and I can't find the settings page on the web UI. There's even this tweet which doesn't work any more: https://twitter.com/spotify/status/405679905087553536

Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

Alternatively, if this feature has, for some stupid reason, been removed, is there any program I can download to fix it?

6 Replies

Hey @Xenasis,

If someone shares a song, and you see the preview, instead of clicking the link, try clicking on the song title while making sure that you have the Spotify app open in the background.

santa.jpg

This should open a new window with the question if you'd like to open the Spotify app. Click 'Yes' and the album should be opened.

Let us know how that goes 🙂

seriously, this is pissing me off now.

can someone just give us a straight explanation for why this standard link opening functionality has been disabled?

is there a GOOD reason for it? is something better coming? or are you just trying to **bleep**ing **bleep** us off?

@marc0de

@Xenasis

When you have the Desktop version of Spotify opened, to have the external links opening in your app, you need to use the Spotify URI link and NOT the song link.

Like this :

URI link format :  spotify:track:6phWVUn5CCTCRBepIKnf6D

Spotify song link format : https://blablabla

- So to be opened in Desktop it needs to send people or that people send you : the URI link.

- If you send or receive the Song link, it will be opened in Web player.

Note : If you want test it, copy each kind of link in your browser and see where it opens 🙂

I hope that will help you 🙂

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

sorry, but that is nonsense.

if i can open a magnet link on a web page and have it open in an external app with standard webhooks, so can spotify.

they have actively decided to make the product worse for what I am sure is some financial or licensing related reason.

total bs.

@marc0de

Everything is making sense 🙂

- Desktop version is  a standalone version which can be used without an internet connection turned on,  if you have set playlists to be played offline. So URI links are considered as internal links and won't work if the Desktop version is not installed on your computer.

- Webplayer ia a webapp needing an internet connection turned on. So link on the https://.... format are played there.

- Many people use the Webplayer at work as they are often not allowed to install the desktop version on their office computer.

So, as I said, everything makes sense. 🙂

Have a good day

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

if you were going for 'most condescending post ever written', congratulations.

i understand that desktop is used for offline play, but if I have a desktop version of the client, i dont expect links to open a new, unrelated app in the browser, I want stuff to play in the main client that i use, which is desktop.

spotify links always opened the main client until recently, why not make it an option. or add a button, why make it harder and worse than it used to be.

no one posts **bleep**ing URI links on the internet, so thats pointless too.

also, ITS NOT A **bleep**ING SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM.

Suggested posts