Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to store on phone but not desktop?

How to store on phone but not desktop?

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

S9+

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

I'm trying to "save" music for offline use on my phone only. I don't want the files saved on my computer as well. I get the impression that it is downloading the files to my computer as well because it says "downloading" on my computer when I try to make them available offline on my phone only.

My goal is to use the storage space on my phone instead of data. My computer does not travel nearly as far from wifi as my phone and thus its goal is the inverse.

3 Replies

You can check to see if it is downloaded on your desktop by looking at the playlist on the desktop at the top right. The picture below is a playlist that I have downloaded on my phone but not my desktop.

On the desktop you can also go to Settings > Show Advanced Settings and find the location that Spotify is storing offline songs. Go to that location and see if any songs are saved.

In order to download playlists to your phone only, you have to mark download from within the phone app. Marking download on your computer will only download it to your computer and not your phone.

Spotify_2019-01-10_12-03-33.png

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

For albums there is no download toggle on desktop, only save (saved/remove). When I click save it says downloading in the bottom left of the app on my computer which makes me think its downloading to my computer. Removing it on desktop removes it from my phone as well.

Checking the directory doesnt help since it's encrypted.

The save button should only save it to your library, the reason why it would download is if you have your song library toggled on to download. Check there at the top right to see if that is toggled on.

Your saved songs and playlists will sync between devices but hitting download on one device has no effect on what downloads on others. Downloading on the computer will only cause files to save on that computer and downloading on the phone will cause only those files to be saved on the phone. 

Suggested posts