I have full internet connection, but it says I'm offline?

Solved!

I have full internet connection, but it says I'm offline?

AnnaT14

I was just listening to my regular playlist and then I tried to discontect Facebook. Suddenly, Spotify changed into Offline-mode. Do I need to change back or something? Why does it say "Offline" when I have full internet connection???? I've tried to shut it down and open again but it doesn't work. HELP PLEASE, I'M DYING HERE.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

meahtenoha
Spotify
Spotify

Hi all,

First please check @SpotifyStatus and/ or the Ongoing Issues board to make sure there isn't a larger issue.

Next, if it's a connection issue, you may see one or more of the following: 

• All tracks grayed out.
  • Nothing happening when you press play, or try to use any features.
  • Error messages saying Spotify is offline or No internet connection detected.

These steps should get you back up and running: 

• Turn your WiFi off. Wait 30 seconds, then switch it back on. If that doesn’t work, try restarting your router.
  • If you’re using a data connection, check you have enough data allowance (although we recommend using WiFi if possible).
  • Make sure Spotify isn’t in offline mode (in the app’s Settings, under Playback).
  • Check your firewall (if you use one) has Spotify set as an exception.
  • Some shared or public networks (e.g. schools/work/office) restrict access to certain services. You can contact those responsible for managing the network for more information.
  • If possible, try it with a different WiFi network. If it works with another connection, we recommend contacting the service provider of the original network for more information.

View solution in original post

609 Replies

Novy

Hey folks, 

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

If you're still having this issue, we'd recommend checking the following:

• Make sure you're not connected to a VPN, as this could cause issues with the app's performance.
  • Make sure your firewall has no restrictions for Spotify.
  • If you're using an antivirus software/app, make sure that Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Disable any network management apps. 
  • Disable any ad-blockers.
  • Make sure the app isn't set to Offline mode.
  • If you're using a private network (e.g. schools/work/office), you can contact those responsible for managing the network for more information, as these usually restrict the access to several services.

If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to let us know. We're always here to help. 

Have a good one 🙂

NovyModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

ewires
Visitor

I had this issue and tried all suggestions including the 'solution' listed here and also chatted to Spotify support but nothing worked.   

In the end I fixed it by un-installing 'Lan Optimiser' that was installed on my work PC then restarted the PC and finally re-installed Spotify.  

If you don't have 'Lan Optimiser' installed look similar software and try removing that.  If your on a work PC and don't have permission to install/un-install software then ask who ever installed Spotify in the first place to try the above. 

Spotify should have an option to run the desktop app in a different way like using a web frontend that still allows downloading songs to a local storage, this would solve this issue with a simple setting.

Ok cheers

ew

TheeJoshh
Visitor

it's really annoying

donbergaaas
Composer

try clearing the cache on settings that worked for me 

cs812
Music Fan

maybe click off app and then restart it

NaikvdW
Music Fan
it is fixed thank you
garoetnaik
Naik van der Wielen

daveymoore1
Casual Listener

This is fing ridiculous that spotify hasnt figured this out.  I think Im done with them

visom

This offline bug is really getting to me.
I have a laptop which I use sometimes connected to the docking station with a fixed cable and sometimes disconnected from docking station (using wifi). Everytime I switch Spotify looses connection and goes into offline mode. Starting in either wifi or at docking station works fine, so it's the switch that kills Spotify.

Everything else works fine in both modes, only Spotify has this bug.

Spotify really need to have a look at this and in worst case allow the users to force a connection check to see if there's a connection.

GreggOd
Casual Listener

Okay so I think I have figured this out. Spotify gets confused between Ethernet and WIFI. Looks like if Wifi is on, even though not connected, Spotify by default will want to use it. Thats why people like us with docks are having this issue.

What you need to do is if you are using ethernet, turn off your wifi.
Undock your machine
Close and remove spotify
Dock your machine (ensuring only ethernet is on)
Install spotify
Login and it should be good.

Let me know if this works.

azpunky
Music Fan
My guess is that Spotify doesn't have adequate ECN (edge servers).

GreggOd
Casual Listener

I have the exact same issue! It was working fine and now i cant get it to work at all. Its stuck in offline mode.

So i removed spotify and now I cant even login. Its so annoying that it makes you want to smash and break something.

Technology is so frustrating!

Peterowsky
Casual Listener

Good to see that for 7 years people have had this issue and apparently there isnt a solution beyond "are you really online?" even if pretty much every other app works fine with WiFi and data connections . 

BigFatHairyMan

You can try login again

azpunky
Music Fan
LOL, that's not helpful.. anyway, I finally cancelled my premium
subscription to Spotify. After 10 years with Spotify, I'm gonna try some of
the other services for a while. I haven't been crazy about the direction
Spotify has gone over the years.. it's not special anymore.

DanielaM123

Can someone help me with this??? I have full internet connection, this is soo annoying

SOS 

26FE0D5C-0671-43AF-AF99-94E5AE06F15E.png

Andy1221

Yngkush420
Music Fan

Go to your settings menu and at the very top should be a toggle that says offline mode make sure that toggle is off otherwise even if you have internet you will be in offline mode

azpunky
Music Fan
What I'm reporting is not as-designed functionality. As I stated, on my PC
I can be streaming music (so not offline), but cannot look at artist
pages...

Swordy79
Roadie
Thanks mate but been thru that one many times to with no joy

Bilbreyjon
Casual Listener
People keep saying this but it didn't matter. I would turn it off on my
wife's iphone and it would still say "you need to go back online in xx