Lots of data being stored locally

Solved!
Highlighted
Solution! 64 people liked this

Re: Lots of data being stored locally

jkteddy772
Music Fan

I too am plagued by this, even after I move my cache location.

You can however change how much the Data file fills by editing the file "prefs" in Spotify's Roaming files.

But FIRST, Close Spotify

go to:

C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data

and delete all files inside of it. This is that stored data.

THEN, go to:

C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\prefs

Edit it with any spaced document program, even wordpad (notepad isn't spaced), and enter this option in at the bottom of the list:

storage.size=*desired amount of megabytes*

Here's mine set for just over 1 gigabyte:

storage.size=1280

Remember to Save the file.

THEN you can reopen Spotify.

Hope this helps you all as much as it helped me!

4 people liked this

rainbowchild

Same trouble here. Since I have asinged cache to D:, you should not put any song data into my C:. It is a 128G SSD, and Spotify put 10G in my AppData\Local\Spotify\Data. That is ridiculous big, which I try to prevent from because it will hurt my SSD. Please fix this, don't put cache to my C: which I did not asinged to.

11 people liked this

keymapper

jkteddy772 wrote:

C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\perf

edit it with any program, even wordpad (don't use notepad) and enter this option in at the bottom of the list:

storage.size=*desired amount of megabytes*

Here's mine set for just over 1 gig:

storage.size=1280

This works! You don't even need to manually delete the files in Data, once you edit the prefs file the next time you start Spotify it will automatically delete the necesasary files to get down to the specified size limit. One thing to note, the text file is not named "perf" but rather "prefs". So C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\prefs.

Still, Spotify if you're listening, this is poor UX and all of this cache should be stored in the user-specified cache in the Preferences not in a non-customizable secret location!

1 person liked this

oliverjhyde
Music Fan

Thanks for this! Just set my folder to 500MB after seeing it up at 6.3GB!

szerox

I must agree. Just checked my AppData\Local\Spotify\Data folder and its over 10GB while the folder I actually set the cache to is only arround 1.5GB.

Please change

19 people liked this

MSchnyder
Casual Listener

i resolved the Problem like this:

1. Spotfy have to be closed.

2. Delete the "data" Folder under ...AppData\Local\Spotify....

3. Start CMD as Admin and type: Mklink "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data" "E:\Spotify Data" /D

4: Target "E:\Spotify Data" u have to change to your Target Path !!

This command creates a Data Folder under Appdata\Local\Spotify which will be redirected to the target Path (here as example: E:\Spotify Data")

I came by Spotify to this solution, because by ITunes its the same Problem with the Backup Path and there i fixed it like this :)

Would be nice if in the Future it would be possible to change also the "Data" Path and not just the "Cache" Path under Spotify Settings.

1 person liked this

smashbrot

I have also solved the problem by using symlinks. It works falwlessly with spotify. ;)

1 person liked this

IHBlythe

Worked for me, thanks for the Symlink! @MSchnyder

2 people liked this

js2000
Regular

thanks for the solution. It is kind of sad that Spotify cannot even resolve something as simple as this.............

scorpio_11de
That you can do with all the odds. So with spotyfy folder in and of itself.
You just have to make mlink for Spotify. Then everything is in a different place that no SSD loaded ^ ^
@echo off
Mklink / J "C: \ Users \ (MyName) \ AppData \ Local \ Spotify \" "H: \ Spotify" / D
SUGGESTED POSTS