France (language=French)

Device

Acer Aspire 5 nitro

Operating System

Windows 10

Spotify version

1.1.48.625.g1c87c7f7-a

My Question or Issue

Today the annoying media overlay (name and album pic, possibility to change song) when increasing or decreasing volume reappeared. We used to have an option in the "Preferences/Display" settings but it's not the case anymore.

I'd like to know

- Wether this is an intentional change from Spotify or if we can expect a fix

- How to make this media overlay disappeared for ever (preferably without running third party program :D)

I tried a clean reinstall without success.

5 Replies

Hey @Aradyan,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community.

It seems  that you’re seeing the new desktop client we're trying out and that's the reason why you can't see the option to disable the media overlay. The reason for this is that we're constantly running tests in order to provide you with the best music experience possible. So  it's possible that you might see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or get a brand-new feature for only a temporary period. Click here to learn more about Spotify tests.

A possible workaround would be to create a new account and see if the option to disable the overlay is available there. If that's the case you can use the steps here to transfer your music collection.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for your answer. 

In don't mind the spotify test version, but I think it would make way more sense to rais this user-experience breaking issue to the product team, instead of making another account (plus mine is premium...) to just have the same problem once the official version is released. Is there a way to do this ?

Can I please have a answer from Spotify or a way to contact them ? This media overlay makes the desktop app clearly unusable as it hides too much screen content.

Hey @Aradyan,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

You can head here to find more information about the New Desktop Experience. You can also share your feedback in the thread.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey Aradyan,

There is a submission for the feature to disable the media overlay to be brought back:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Desktop-Other-Return-the-option-to-hide-media-keys...

Please give this an upvote and tell your friends to do the same...

Suggested posts