Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New update - SAVE option - is there a limit?

Solved!

New update - SAVE option - is there a limit?

Hello,

Is there a limit on the number of albums you can SAVE to YOUR MUSIC section? I'm only half way through saving albums from my old playlists and this feature stopped working... 

If I UNSAVE another album, i can SAVE a new one.

298 Replies

dinomight,

Our navigation results still differ. I just checkmarked a few songs on Foo Fighters' self-titled album without clicking on SAVE. I went to albums, and yes, the album is there, and only the checkmarked songs appear when I first click on it (in default filter?). But, it doesn't disappear from view when I go to View Full Album as you claim, i.e., it behaves the same as if I'd saved it with the SAVE button: it shows all the favorites and non-favorites. I guess my main issue is that the Save button is not disabled for clicks over the limit and that both SAVE and SAVED results show in ALBUMS. Regardless of how you save an album, it should always show as SAVED.

I'm very surprised about your claim that Starred songs don't have a limit. Re-checking my collection only confirmed what I've seen before - a huge number of unsaved favorites for albums exceeding the limit. Sometimes only one or two songs will remain favorited on albums critically close to the limit.

I'm primarily interested in creating my own playlists with artist name headings since navigating Artists and Albums in Your music is more than a pain for large collections. I was able to do that to my heart's delight until the deadly gamma-ray version of last April. Alas, now I have to go back in time and resort to the computer version of library cards to mark favorites for most of my Spotify albums, which liberates me from the vicissitudes, violent mood changes, and business collapse of streaming service websites. I'm eagerly looking forward to see what Deezer has to offer.

dinomight

"Do you not have Your Music in the beta now? Are you on 1.0.0.709.g17874b47 or later? I don't actually recall a beta version that didn't have YM. Just curious"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes currently I do have YM under the version 1.0.0.797.gd2cd6291, but I have kind of stopped using YM it just does not currently meet my needs. I mean it is ok for a 600+ album favorites but thats all right now for me. I think I have albums from just one artist saved currently and nothing else just to have something in there. 🙂

I was just shooting off the mouth about YM surviving. The whole YM thing has irritated me from day one and I am still not sure what the point of it is as it is limiting to users that have thousands of albums by hundreds of artists. A new user would find this feature great but would eventually meet the limit of it within a year depending on how much that new user is using the service. The time spent adding and removing albums to add different albums can be used to just build playlists and not mess with it at all. Only changed content in the spotify service effects playlists and can quickly be adjust. Going through 600+ albums deciding what to remove to add different content is just too time consuming. It should be labelled Album Best of Feature not Your Music. I have My Music already with 10,000 albums what about the rest of it? Anyway I am on a rant now. Users still can not offline anything in YM can they?

Ohh by the way a general view I think most users are somewhat at the mercy of developers, they release what has been written, and users have to deal with it. I am sure apple users are really happy at how well the beta iOS is going for Yosemite. I have learned long ago programs rarely turn out how users really want. I remember the uproar over the iTunes recode and redesign, those posts where fun to read at the apple help boards as well. There are going to be people who are not happy no matter what gets designed. So far I have had a great time and only a few bumbs in the road so far. I have no idea why people take things so personally.

Okay, thanks for continuing to post about these results @biglarry5 . I just tried an individual song, and it worked as expected, so that's very strange that the full albums filter didn't work correctly for you. I'm jumping into this thread a bit late and don't know if you've tried an uninstall/reinstall, but maybe that would help with some of these problems.

For what it's worth, I do agree with you and @user-removed that Your Music is highly flawed as it stands. I still use it, but yes I've been fighting frustrations with it for most of this year, mostly related to the 10,000 limit and the fact that it's really slow to navigate. I finally ended up saving a lot of albums into playlists like I used to do before YM existed just to clear up space, and it was absolutely a hassle.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

"I have no idea why people take things so personally."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me try to answer, even though it should be self-evident. Time is money, and wasting time, just like money, is undesirable for most people on this earth. When you save 12,000 songs and the company deletes most of them without an advance notice, they just flushed down the drain countless hours of your listening and archiving efforts. That's a pinnacle of insouciance and uncaring customer service. If they had advised the users of their intention six month before, we would've had a chance to do something about it instead of receiving this full frontal blow to the face. It's called basic etiquette, and it wouldn't have cost them a red cent. Instead, they alienated tons of people, behaving like corporate hyenas.

Just out of curiosity how did you lose 12,000 songs? I did not lose a single song in all the changes spotify has gone through.

Many of song gone missing, show the song not found, think been removed by Spotify!

"How did you lose 12,000 songs?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll have to ask Spotify even though I'm not sure that they would know. I did ask them, and, as one would expect from large companies, they never gave any specific answers. I remember distinctly that they had promised to contact individually those users that had over 10,000 songs in the weeks following the fateful switch to the new update in April. Guess again, Charlie.

Time to put an end to this limit. 

Last.fm: RockYourSocksxX
Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
• Brendan Gill

Spotify keep remove my song, example Taylor Swift and many more, and they never return my song!

Heard today that Taylor Swift removed her music from all Spotify type formats in an attempt to improve actual sales and apparently it's worked. So will other follow?

Found this discussion through a google serach after i found i couldn't save any more after about a month of being knocked out by Spotify - what a bummer and totally effing stupid! Please sort it Mr Spotify!

Chris

Yeah it's 10,000 songs.

It's not written anywhere or anywhere clear deliberately.

I started doing the same as I was so excited to make the switch from iTunes finally BUT then I hit a brick wall when I hit this limit after saving only about a third or less of my iTunes albums.

I then deleted my premium account and went reluctently back to iTunes. I'm NOT paying $10 a month to be limited like that.

I love giving artists money and would be happy to pay $20 a month or whatever artists need to feel they are being paid fairly, but I don't want a library limit. F that noise.

Spotify, it's time to improve 'YOUR Music'. 
1. Remove this stupid limit. 
2. More functionality: searching, more structure (genres etc.), ... 

Those are the 2 things that need to change ASAP. 

• Brendan Gill

Does anyone really know if or when this might get solved?
I've just incurred the same problem. After upgrading my phone to s bigger size (62G) to accommodate for the available offline function, I now learn there's a limit to the amount of songs you can have on your account. Pretty poor service really. Any info would be great!

Anyone who thinks that this 10,000 items limit will be changed - don't hold your breath. Apparently, when you mark a favorite, that is considered a download because it eats into the servers' memory.

I have arrived at the least time-consuming semi-solution for this issue. If you include in your playlists only the items you like and delete those you don't, there is no limit (not for now at least). That means you leave all the items you like as pluses instead of marking them as checkmarks, thus eliminating downloads. At the end of the day, you have an unlimited number of songs you like marked as pluses. I know, I know, I too would like to preserve the non-favorites because one never knows when he might change his mind about a tune, and, as an archivist, I like to have a full album preserved, but there is a remedy for that too. Listen extra carefully, 2-3 times if you're undecided, to songs that are on the fence so you don't delete something too quickly. If later you run into a song you deleted that you shouldn't have, you can always add it, and it will slot right into the album it was deleted from.

There are streaming sites on the market that don't have a limit on favorites, but they are, on the whole, inferior to Spotify. I use them as a supplement since they invariably have stuff Spotify doesn't. They are Grooveshark, Rdio, and YouTube - all free. Grooveshark relies on listeners' downloads; therefore its collections may be incomplete, and the info unreliable, but I have found it useful. Rdio has very frequent and intrusive ads which kick in even if you don't listen to a song in its entirety unless you become a paying member. YouTube's archiving tools have improved but are still unsatisfactory since you can't sort items a-z within playlists. Also, this site is plagued by frequent deletions of material because of copyright issues. On the plus side, there are innumerable clips of live performances and often entire concerts. I'm looking forward to the imminent introduction of the French website Deezer in this country - another power player in the streaming market.

What I've learned is that there are no permanent solutions in this game. You have to diversify and look for workarounds that will be compromises between the websites' policies (however unreasonable, illogical, and annoying) and what you want for yourself.

Well I guess I won't be continueing my subscription because of the 10000 limit. I'm going to check out Deezer.

I've waited over 3 months for a solution to this, after switching to the new verision and my initial exitement at the feature i'd always wanted added (saving albums) turning to severe dissapointment as I almost immediatly hit the 10k limit.  Despite numerous users in the same situation as me having voiced their concerns, I have still seen no progress or response from spotify other than some wishy washy excuse about problems with scrolling and the user experience being adversly  impacted.  Well i can tell you that having been a premium member for around 3 years now, and having recommended it to countless friends, i will today cancel my premium subscription, delete the app, and invest my pennies in Deezer instead, which to my knowledge has no such limit.

Spotify, if you'd listened to your users, or even given us some kind of update as to what was happeningn and reassurance that the muicaphiles amoung us will be provisioned for, i would still have been an advocate.  But in keeping with the sentiment of so many other users, i have now run out of patience, and will take my (apparently unvalued) custom elsewhere. 

Congratulations on cocking up an otherwise fantasitc service...RIP Spotify.

I would love to go to Deeper, but they're not available to the US smartphone market as of yet; unless you're on Cricket. I've heard great things about their service, though, so can't wait.

I'm in the U.S. too, so I'm aware that Deezer hasn't hit these shores yet, but the company is saying that they will before long. You can go to deezer.com and enter you e-mail address so that they can notify you when that happens. Still, I wouldn't be too optimistic abot Deezer providing an unlimited number of favorites. I'm looking forward to it mainly as a supplement to the other streaming sites since no service has a complete library of everything you're interested in.  

When I converted my Spotify playlists to Deezer with Soundiiz, they were automatically splitted at approx. 2k tracks, as far as I remember. So it's possible that there is such a track limit on a single playlist, but I don't know if the number of possible playlists is limited, or the number of favorite songs or albums.

Fix this!  Or at least give us an official statement. 

Bump. 

• Brendan Gill

Suggested posts