Step 1

NEXT STEP

Problems finding music in my Spotify library with Echo

Problems finding music in my Spotify library with Echo

Plan Premium

Country USA

Device Amazon Echo

My Question or Issue

I have a serious problem using my new Amazon Echo 2nd generation to play music in my Spotify library. I mostly listen to classical music and liturgical music (Gregorian chant, Russian chant, etc.)

Today I tested the first 40 albums in my Spotify library. Of these, Echo was able to find 14, and couldn't find the other 26. I phrased the questions as, "Alexa, play XXX Spotify album". Sometimes it thought the name of the album was the artist, for example, when I asked for the album Dominus Redemptor, she said, "I can't find any album by Dominus Redemptor." Sometimes it thought that the name of the album was a song, for example, "Play Choral Evensong for Easter Day Spotify album", looks for a song called Choral Evensong.

One thing I noticed is that any long name was not found. Maybe she stopped listening before I got to the word "album" and thus looked for a song? Also names with any non-English words or names of foreign composers was likely not to be found. Fauré Requiem is an example of a well-known choral masterpiece by the French composer Fauré, but Alexa doesn't recognize it, although I have two versions of it in my library. 

When it comes to my playlists, the problem is even worse. I have some 20 playlists and Alexa can find only two of them. 

I've read various other topics that are marked as "Solved", but the solutions are not solutions at all. Some are quite obviously just chance successes. Others are impratical, such as "make your playlist names very short". If I did that, I'd have multiple duplicate names, and I wouldn't be able to tell one from another. 

3 Replies

Hello! I suggest contacting Amazon about this, maybe asking on the Echo forum if they have one. 

Hi and welcome to the community,

As stated above this is more an Amazon issue, although we can try resolving it here, you could create a playlist for each album and then ask "Alexa, play XXX playlist on Spotify" that way she can recognize it easier, although I would simply contact Amazon support, they will know how to fix this more than Spotify. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Best,

Jack

Note: I am not a Spotify Employee.

I don't know what makes you think this is a  Amazon problem. Amazon Echo passes the request to Spotify and Spotify searches for what was requested, and passes the results back to the Echo.

Also, creating a playlist wouldn't help. Of my 20 playlists, only 2 were found when I asked, "Play xxx playlist on Spotify." 

Suggested posts