My Question or Issue
As a lot of other users have posted, my spotify will not play most songs that I don't have in a playlist already. It just shows the black disc icon for the album art and won't play. Additionally, a lot of playlists that I haven't downloaded, will show little to none of the songs actually in them. I have tried the host file fix that seems to help most people but it did nothing for me.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Sometimes some adblockers or other third party software may edit the file, eg for avoiding ads. However, Spotify-related addresses in hosts, such as
will very likely break your Spotify client.
1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to
3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like
0.0.0.0 website.com 127.0.0.1 website2.com
Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:
0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com 0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net
(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.
You can also try removing all lines to see what happens.
Try it out and let me know if it helped. 🙂