Solved!

Restarting windows explorer makes spotify disappear from system tray

Operating System

Windows 10 21H1

Client version

Spotify for Windows
1.1.72.439.gc253025e

My Question or Issue

Duplicate of this issue. Spotify disappears from system tray after windows explorer (explorer.exe) restart. Doesn't matter if the app is in foreground or background prior to the restart, happens every time. I've been facing this issue on previous versions as well.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @alirezayakza

Thanks for your reply. 

We can confirm that this is expected as Spotify doesn't monitor the state of its tray icon. However, we will make sure to pass this info onto the right team, as we always strive to improve.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hey there @alirezayakza

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Could you let us know if this is only happening with Spotify of with other apps as well?

On another note, we suggest that you check if the OS of your PC has any pending updates. Additionally, we'd like to know if the issue persists on a different PC. 

Lastly, could you send us a screen recording of the issue happening so that we can have a closer look?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

The issue is exclusive to spotify.

There are no pending windows updates. I don't have access to another machine, but i had the same issue on other installations of windows on the same PC. Thanks!

Hey @alirezayakza,

Thanks for your reply and info.

Could we still ask you for a short screen recording of the situation if possible, as this will be very helpful for us to investigate this deeper and advise you better. You can send a link to the video file or attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor.

Keep us posted, we'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I imported the youtube video in the previous post. Here is the mega link. Thanks!

Hi again @alirezayakza,

Thanks for your reply and the video links.

Could we ask you if the desktop app you have is downloaded and installed from the Microsoft Store or from our official website?

Meanwhile, we have a Star member here, who is really proficient in troubleshooting such situations - @Sebasty, could you take a look and help out here?

We hope this helps, we'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm using the official version from the website, not the microsoft store version.

Hello : )

I read around on this a little bit and it sounds like this case (SuperUser). Basically, the program doesn't recreate its tray icon after explorer.exe restarts. One person in the link has created a .bat file to work around that issue. Maybe that would work for you (do make sure to read the suggestion below that particular post).

If the explorer.exe process has crashed, i would recommend a system reboot or at least logging out and back in. Some other processes may have been left hanging midair by the crash too.

Hope this helps, have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @Sebasty! don't have any issues with the explorer itself. As far as i'm concerned, the mentioned script, simply relaunches the program (in this case spotify). Since other apps handle this case just fine, thought i'd report this as a bug. Thanks anyways!

Marked as solution

Hey there @alirezayakza

Thanks for your reply. 

We can confirm that this is expected as Spotify doesn't monitor the state of its tray icon. However, we will make sure to pass this info onto the right team, as we always strive to improve.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator

this hasn't been fixed yet as of today

Still not fixed **bleep**

Is this fixed yet? It's almost been a year.

Suggested posts