Free

Country

US

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify has been suddenly doing this strange thing where a song will begin to play and stop after a few seconds (typically at the 6-second mark). If I try to play it again, it will refuse to play any of the song at all. Other songs will not load and play at all.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify several times. I've reset my computer several times. I've gone into Spotify's files and deleted certain ones I think may be causing the issue. Nothing has solved it yet, and it's been going on for about a week.

I am at a complete loss here and need some help. 😞

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I contacted Spotify Support and got the problem solved by following these steps:

- Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator).

- Go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.

- Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.

- When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com

- Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0 - If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them

- Save your changes and restart Spotify.

By following the above steps, the issue got solved for me. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

64 Replies

Same issue. Not sure why and cant find anything about it till your post. 

Same problem, also on free account, problem started for me like a week ago. Havent found a working solution, i tried to reinstall but that made it worse for me. Before i could play song that i had listened to before, but now I cant listen to anything past 6 seconds and some songs straight up dont play. 

it happens to me, i would like a solution for this problem.

Same problem here. Tried to re-install Spotify but that didn't solve anything. I would like to know what's causing this.

It also happens to me, I can not hear the music after 5 or 6 seconds.

Same issue with me. I also have a free account. I don't quit Spotify that often and keep it hidden but I had to today after restarting my computer (MacBook Air). The issue started after the restart so I am suspecting it has something to do with an update since I think I had one for a while. I tried restarting both Spotify and the machine but had no luck.

This only occurs with me for songs that I haven't heard in a while. (At least that is what I can deduce from the past ~45-minute usage after the issue). 

It happens to me as well. I have a premium account. I've been searching for a solution since it happened the first time a week ago. Nothing works. Please fix this issue with a new update. Otherwise we'll all be force to let go Spotify (not worth it).

Yup, same here. Songs stop after few seconds and i have done all that reinstalling and deleting cache parts etc. Help would be needed.

Still haven’t found a fix and haven’t been able to use Spotify in over a week. I have a feeling this has to do with an update as well. Hopefully the next update will have a fix for this.

I also have the same problem, the songs do not play more than 6 seconds, others do not reproduce anything, help me, I have reinstalled the spotfy but nothing further.

I've been having the same issue. I'm using a Mac Pro with a Premium account and have updated the Spotify software. Reinstalled, reboot, logged out, logged back in. This has been happening for about a week now. I can use it on my phone and in the web player, but the Mac desktop app only plays the first second of a song then stops and I get the error "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the rile on your computer you can import it."

Marked as solution

I contacted Spotify Support and got the problem solved by following these steps:

- Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator).

- Go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.

- Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.

- When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com

- Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0 - If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them

- Save your changes and restart Spotify.

By following the above steps, the issue got solved for me. Hope this helps!

For me it didnt seem to work. Why do i got to open a notepad as administrator before? Because for me the hosts part opens a new notepad with all the text etc. Is it meant to work like that?

Ups sorry, i copied and pasted the text to the notepad which i ran as administrator, now it seems to work, Thx so much mate. BTW do you have a idea why it does this?

That worked, Thank you for shareing. 

My brain stopped following at C:windows/sys32/drivers/etc that "etc" my brain stopped and after that i just don't understrand

i found the hosts thing but there isnt that text there so what do i do then?

click on the file with the right mouse button and then open or open with somewhere near the top of the box that popped up, then pick the notepad. Inside click ctrl + f for a shortcut which seeks text inside a text file. in there type spotify and delete all lines with spotify in them and done. hope it helps

I have had a 'Premium' subscription for probably about 6 months now, and my Desktop app (Windows 7) has been doing this same thing off and on the whole time.  I'm about tired of constantly having to uninstall and reinstall to get the thing working again, especially when I am paying a monthly subscription fee.  I just tried the fix in this thread and when I get to the last step - I have no lines that contain 'Spotify' so there is nothing to delete.  How can Spotify Support be contacted directly about this issue?  They need to be made aware that their Desktop app is totally **bleep** up and basically NON-FUNCTIONAL!

Suggested posts