Premium

Country

Bulgaria

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro, version 1909, OS build 18363.1016

My Question or Issue

The Spotify App cycles through songs in a playlist and doesn't actually play anything. If you want to hear a specific song you get the message "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

A workaround:

1. Change the sound output to something else from the speaker icon.

2. Click the song you want to hear, so it starts playing.

3. Change the output back to the regular one you're using.

Hope this helps someone out there struggling with this issue.

Now, even though I know a workaround, I still don't want to do this EVERY TIME I open up Spotify! There have been TWO  (I think) updates since this issue came out and it still isn't fixed!

The web player is working fine right off the bat, so I'm guessing that the issue is coming from under the hood of the app itself.

Before anyone asks the basic troubleshooting questions:
- Yes, I'm running the latest version of Spotify: 1.1.40.508.gd5bc2931

- As mentioned, yes, my OS is up to date.

- Yes, my audio drivers are up to date.

- Yes, I've tried deleting the local cache found in %APPDATA%>ROAMING>SPOTIFY etc.

- Yes, I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the app.

- Yes, I've tried restarting the computer.

Annotation 2020-08-25 141245.jpg
8 Replies

Hey @arcanumex 

Funny enough I just had a conversation about quite a similar issue! 

I assume you're using the Windows Store version, just like me. It turns out that the Store version is closely integrated with your OS, so sometimes it can behave strange. 

If you can, give the standalone app a chance here

Looking forward to see if that helped solve your problem 🙂

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey, brat 😉

No, I'm actually using the standalone app. Downloaded from the same place you've pointed out. 😞

Perhaps, I should give the Windows Store one a try, because I haven't tried that yet. Maybe the problem can be fixed with a known problematic app (two negatives make a positive hah).

Haha, it became a clash of the apps! 

Well, my problem was with the power options, Spotify thought my PC is going to sleep and was pausing the music after 10 min. when the PC was inactive.

Maybe as you told, your issue will resolve with the Store version, which actually makes more sense as its related to the audio input. 

Good luck, hope that's the case!

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have exactly the same issue - song jumps one by one without playback. It appeared some weeks ago. Unfortunately output hack didn't work for me. Could you plz explain more about it.

Okay, so here's what you need to try:

1. Close Spotify, switch the output to an alternative one.

2. Open up Spotify, search a song and play it.

3. While the song is playing, switch the output to the regular one and it should continue playing.

That's the process I have to do every time I want to play some music from Spotify on my desktop PC.

Unfortunately the Store version wasn't any different. I even tried tweaking the settings in the Apps menu in Windows but still no love 😞

thanks. it works, but it's extremely hacky. I have to turn on TV to get other output device

Some Problem here... VERY anoying!

Suggested posts