Premium

Country

Canada

Device

Desktop + topping MX3 DAC/AMP

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Every song get skipped from the desktop application with the error "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

I've tried all the typical troubleshooting stuff + what I've seen in other threads to no avail. 

- Restart computer

- Reinstall spotify (hard and soft reinstall)

- Disable/try different audio devices 

- Nothing wrong with hosts/firewall

- Run as admin

- Play local files (it will either scrub through the song with no audio, scrub part way then stop randomly with no audio, not play at all)

- reinstall audio drivers/use windows default drivers

- Change audio device's samplerate/bit depth (I basically tried them all)

- Change Spotify's Audio playback quality option

- Flip the hardware acceleration option

Funny enough spotify desktop works on my linux boot with no issues.  Spotify Web also works perfectly fine on my windows partition.

3 Replies

Hey there @wuwica,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.

You mentioned that you performed a reinstall. Can you confirm if you followed these exact steps? 

Another useful step to do is to remove your hosts files by following these steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If that doesn't do the trick, can you let us know which version of the app you have?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I dont have any issues with my hosts files they look perfectly fine to me. 

I'm currently on the lastest version of spotify 1.1.54.592.gc0b20638 but this has been an existing issue for a couple of months now.

Is there a way for me to have some sort of error/debug logging?  That way I can try and debug this issue once and for all.  It just the generic audio playback error gives no context into what exactly could have failed.

Hi there @wuwica

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Would you mind asking a friend to log in to their account in your PC to check if the issue persists with a different account?

Just to confirm, is this happening when you try streaming directly on your PC or when you're using the Connect feature?

Keep us posted!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts