Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify can't play this right now. If you Have the file on your computer you can import it

Solved!

Spotify can't play this right now. If you Have the file on your computer you can import it

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

PC and Galaxy Note 8

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I am in the process of testing Spotify to see if I can start using it as my main music service. The only issue I'm wrestling with, is the random availibility of certain songs. For instance, when I try to play "Shy" by Lemon Future, a song that I purchased from his Bandcamp, Spotify says "Spotify can't pay this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." The song is already imported, but it still refuses to play it. I've tried clearing the local-files.bnk and I have tried turning off hardware acceleration as well, and still nothing. Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I found the issue. I originally downloaded the file in .m4a format rather than .mp3. I had to re-buy the song to test it out and after restarting spotify, it worked. I still think I might not use Spotify as my ONLY music service, for little reasons such as: burning CDs, internet outages, and so on. But all in all, it's impressive to say the least. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hey @HF_Paperstacks

Does it happen on your Galaxy Note 8 as well?

I'd recommend reinstalling your Spotify client on desktop. 🙂

For non-Windows Store client do this:

1. Close Spotify and uninstall it.
2. Go to %AppData% in Windows Explorer, and delete any Spotify folders you find in Local and Roaming folders.
3. Restart your computer.
4. Install Spotify.

For Windows Store client I recommend resetting the app (Tenforums guide) and then reinstalling it following the steps in this article.

I'd also suggest renaming the file. For mp3's you should be able to change metadata in Windows Explorer too, but I don't know how much it would affect.
Lemon Future used to be on Spotify, it seems.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Marked as solution

I found the issue. I originally downloaded the file in .m4a format rather than .mp3. I had to re-buy the song to test it out and after restarting spotify, it worked. I still think I might not use Spotify as my ONLY music service, for little reasons such as: burning CDs, internet outages, and so on. But all in all, it's impressive to say the least. 

@HF_Paperstacks

I'm glad you found the issue! 🙂

Yes, Spotify doesn't support lossless file formats (.m4a from Bandcamp is ALAC). I also use another media player for local files because majority of them are lossless and I like buying lossless audio.

About Bandcamp - if I'm not mistaken, then the album you buy from the platform is added to your collection which you can access any time and you can also select the format to download the album (in unlimited ways).

Maybe it doesn't work when you buy one song only, but 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts