Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Dell Latitude 5411

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I'm listening to music during work. And it happens many times per day, that the desktop app does not respond anymore. The music keeps playing, but the app does not react to any action anymore. The only thing I can do is to close it. Therefore I need to go to the task manager and kill all Spotify threads, which is really anyoing, before I can start a new Spotify session. I have tried all the instructions (reinstalling, clean install, deleting the cache, deleting the user data, disabling hardware acceleration...), but it's still happening. This has nothing to do with the latest versions, this has been happening to me for a few months, if not years. Is there anything I can check for errors?

5 Replies

Hi there @McMac,

Thanks for reaching out. Could you please provide us the following:

• Is this on all devices or only on that Windows PC? If you haven't tested on other devices, please do so.
  • Do you have any issues on the webplayer on the same PC?
  • Do you use a VPN? If so, deactivate it and see if that makes a difference. Try connecting to various networks too.
  • Screenshots or a video of the behaviour

Let us know how it goes.

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This only happens on my Windows PC. All other devices are working fine.

I am using OpenVPN the whole day, but it also happened to me without VPN being used. I will record a video next time it happens.

Hey @McMac,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared. 

In this case, would you mind sharing with us the exact Spotify version you're currently running on your computer? It'll really help us if you check if the same thing is happening on the web player. If you're not sure, try it and let us know how it goes.

We understand you've already tried running a clean reinstall (kudos for that!). At the moment, it's possible to download the app from both the Microsoft Store and our Web page here. So in this case, if you install the desktop app from the web page, try to uninstall that version and try installing the one from the Microsoft one, or vice versa.

Lastly, did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? If yes, please send us the details. We'll be waiting for the video recording 🙂

We'll be on the lookout!

AlejaRModerator

Currently, I'm using Spotify für Windows 1.2.9.743.g85d9593d

I managed to record the issue, see the attachment. You can see that I need to shut down the Thread with the highest memory usage before I can start Spotify again.

I didn't notice any connection to Windows updates. And I'm already using the version from spotify.com, I will exchange it now with the version from the Windows Store.

Thanks,

Florian

Hi @McMac,

Thanks very much for the video and the info. Let us know if the Microsoft Store version of the app works better. Also, does the issue occur in Safe Mode or when launching the app as an Administrator? 

Let us know how it goes.

JoanModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts