Country

Czech Republic

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hello,

I would just like to congratulate Spotify Windows Desktop client team for probably the most rapid barrage of regressions I've seen in years. It's getting worse at a lot faster rate than for example Skype Windows Client, which is a remarkable achievement.

First, the title bar of Spotify client window got extremely ugly, with the window control buttons looking like a incorrectly rendered GUI layer which has nothing to do with the rest of window header.

broken.PNG

Then the menu bar got hidden under 3 dots, making all the actions one more click away, and also displaying it in a bright windows context menu theme not matching the dark UI:

prefs.png

Now, with a new amazing update, every second attempt to maximize the spotify window will maximize the window incorrectly, leaving a gap at the top and a part of the UI cut by the windows taskbar at the bottom:

Topgap.png

BottomOverlap.PNG

And on top of that, with the very recent update, the columns title bar now weirdly and in a quite laggy manner slides over the top of playlist, while popping a little to the left and becoming unaligned:

ColumnTitle.PNG

Thanks to your continuous and successful efforts of making Spotify for Windows client exponentially less usable and worse looking, if you keep up at this trajectory, I will have to considering for the first time in 3 years of using Spotify Premium to look for another music streaming service. You are doing a remarkable job at making Spotify for Windows the worst it can be with every new version.

Thank you!

broken.PNG
5 Replies

Hey @Rawalanche, welcome to the Community.

Hope you are doing great!

Thanks for writing this!

I will make sure to pass your feedback to the right folks at Spotify!

If you would like to, you can support this idea for a new UI of Spotify 🙂

Have a great week! 

Also Fidelify (with ASIO4ALL = bit perfect) stoped working week ago.  Sound quality of "naked" Spotify is now far less than with Fidelify, even via Fidelizer 7.6, 8.1 and  8.2

Time for Qobuz?

The Spotify and Gmail developers seem to be in a frantic race to strip the most basic usability features from their UIs.  The Gmail team is currently a little ahead, so I'm expecting Spotify to come up with a really big takeaway in their next release.

Now, with a new amazing update, every second attempt to maximize the spotify window will maximize the window incorrectly, leaving a gap at the top and a part of the UI cut by the windows taskbar at the bottom

I have this problem too:

• When moving the Spotify window, even to a different monitor, and dragging it to the top of the screen (thus maximizing it), it will maximize, but with a 16px offset downward (so the bottom 16px of the window are also missing, hidden behind the taskbar. This happens once in every *two* maximizing attempts; it doesn't matter if the window gets resized in between attempts.
  • When I first open Spotify, it spawns on my second monitor by default. However, the taskbar icon is on the taskbar of my first (main) monitor. I have to move the Spotify window to my first monitor, then back to the second, and then re-maximize it because the first time it maximizes 16px downward of where it should be.

This is really annoying, and to be honest, kinda noobish.

The out-of-tone coloring of the space above the scrollbar (pic below) makes the entire UI look sketchy, same goes for the window control buttons.

Spotify_2018-09-30_14-09-36.png

The caption buttons issue has been bothering me for a long time already. I use Windows 11, and Spotify renders these buttons with incorrect colours. Caption buttons have a transparent background, but the colour is the same as the system provides for a chosen theme (Light/Dark).

Krakenus_0-1680368205123.png

Developers can fix it almost effortlessly. Not so long ago, Microsoft released WinUI 3 as a part of their Windows App SDK. It provides tools to create native UI for Windows systems, but the most interesting thing there is title bar customization. It allows setting colours for caption buttons and their background directly. It is possible to use Windows App SDK together with Win32 API, or even embed this logic into existing Qt code. Please, check the links below for more information.

1. Title bar customization: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/develop/title-bar.
  2. Code examples (C++/WinRT and C#) on how to customize the title bar and caption buttons at runtime: https://github.com/microsoft/WindowsAppSDK/issues/1626.
  3. How to deal with AppWindow class: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/windows-app-sdk/windowing/windowing-overview.

Note that it works only for Windows 11. For Windows 10, however, you need to implement a custom title bar.

Suggested posts