Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify for Windows doesn't save music progress and volume after shutdown

Spotify for Windows doesn't save music progress and volume after shutdown

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Windows 10

Edit: this also happens the Linux version.

My Question or Issue

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open Spotify

2. Play a song and/or change the volume in app

3. Shutdown/restart the computer (or close it from task manager) while the app is open.

4. When opening the app again, the last played song/volume is not saved. So for example if I had song A as "now playing" at step 1 and played song B at step 2, it's now showing song A, instead of song B.

Note: closing the app by right clicking and pressing exit saves the progress. 

I have had this problem for more than an year, on multiple devices, on both the Microsoft Store app and normal app.

There are 3 possible fixes for this:

1. Catch the **bleep** signal Windows sends to apps when shutting down/ending task

2. Save the app state every time a song changes.

3. Save it online. You're able to know all the songs I played in the past 6 years on all my devices, but not the song I played 2 minutes ago on this exact device?

This is making some playlists like daily mixes and discover weekly useless for me. It also makes the service feel unreliable. Does this also happen to new songs in playlists? To my library? The songs I liked in daily mixes? I discovered that the volume doesn't save while writting this.

2 Replies

Came here to look for this issue... I have the same problem. Frustrating. Now i have to specially shutdown spotify before shutting down my PC. 

Me and my friends have the problem too. 

The solution to the whole problem is clear to me, the devs just have to set some kind of an on shutdown listener or an event that is triggered when the app shuts down because of the Windows command thats send. Then the app could save the settings just like when you close it "normally".

So its not a big problem and could be done in approximately 15-30 minutes. So devs please fix this or tell me if theres a bigger problem with that kind of missing feature.

Suggested posts