Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is the single worst PC app I have ever used.

Spotify is the single worst PC app I have ever used.

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Every PC, doesn't matter

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

My issue is that I pay $10 a month for this app and it completely sucks **bleep**. It is such a pain to use. The amount of times I have to close and restart Spotify makes me want to seek psychiatric help. Spotify has been around for too long and is too **bleep** popular for this to be excusable.

If I have to see "Spotify can't play this right now." or "An error occurred. Please try again later" one more time, I'm going to smash my computer into oblivion. Fix your **bleep** app, stop working on stupid UI changes when your app runs**bleep**. 

I HATE apple and amazon, and yet I'm seriously considering switching. This is not a new problem, it's been trash for years. I've just had enough.

10 Replies

I feel you 100%. I recently made a post with not even a response regarding an issue I was having. There seems to be a large portion of my "Followed" artists that don't actually show up in my Artist section. It's entirely random which ones. I even went to Spotify customer service chat and was told "This seems to be something that has been brought to our attention before and I'm expediting this issue to the development team so this can be rectified ASAP." No real solution. An update by them will come out periodically here and there, but no fix to my problem with it. No idea what's even being updated to be honest, because it always looks/feels the same. I'm not a fan of Amazon music, but I almost feel I have to change to something because this is way more of a headache then it should be. Like you said, Spotify is HUGE, how can people have this many problems with a service they pay for every month? In addition, there's appears to be little help from them when you do have an issue.

From what I can tell, this message board is more just other users trying to help out, but obviously very limited since they aren't actually Spotify themselves. No offense to them. Just appears this is mostly a place to vent some steam.

I agree. Spotify is by far the worst PC app I have used. I have been getting "Spotify can't play this right now..." error for a month now and I have tried everything from reinstalling the app, clearing the the temp files and even resetting my OS . The only workaround was to use the online player (the desktop app is completely unusable). I have already unsubscribed from premium and will switch to amazon/apple if they dont fix the issue soon.

I know this thread is approaching 1yr old, but so far it doesn't look like Spotify has made any improvements to the Windows app.

I only signed up for Spotify Premium a couple days ago because they offered 90 days free. That should be plenty of time to evaluate the service.

I haven't even tried using the Android app. Maybe it's better. But I have been a longtime purchaser of music - much of which are CD's which I have ripped, but I have also purchased a lot of music from iTunes. I normally store my music as .flac, then convert to .ogg for my phone.

Now, if I want to have all my music - both purchased and Spotify - I will need to convert to MP4 or something that Spotify can read. And then, my phone (LG Fiesta 2) doesn't have an EQ, and Spotify sounds terrible without one, so I had to install a 3rd pary EQ, which seems to work well with Spotify on the Android 7.0 phone.

My biggest gripe about the Spotify Windows app is its lack of organizing features. I have been ticking songs as 'like', but eventually end up with dupes. When I try to eliminate the dupes by un-ticking the like button, both instances of the song disappear from my likes. This doesn't always happen though, so it's hard to figure out what is happening.

I am now going to try the browser version of Spotify, but am not holding much hope there either.

It is most likely that, come September when I will have to start paying $10/mo for Spotify, I will cancel my sub and go back to purchasing music from iTunes.

The app was working pretty well for me until they started pushing political content.

Hi bissg14 , MooreRNmageshultrarunner2020DevilEars,

So Sorry To Know That World's No.1  Music Streaming Service Or We Can Call The Original Music Streaming Giant Player In The World - Spotify Is Causing Problem To You All.. However, I Am Not An Expert In Spotify, Just A Novice.. Cause Spotify Is New Here In Our Country - India.. Just I Will Share With You All, How I Am Using Spotify Without Any Issue On My PC.. I Am On Windows 7 64 BIT OS.. I Use Windows PC App Of Spotify And I Remotely Control From My Smartphone Spotify App.. While Closing PC, I Run Disk Cleanup And Also Temporary Files Also As I Have Quick Heal Total Security Installed To My PC.. So I Also Run Trace Cleaner.. So, By Doing This.. I Am Using Spotify Since I Am A Member Of Spotify From 1st June 2020 All Day Long Of About 14 Hours A Day (Cause I Am Working From Home Due To COVID19).. I Don't Know Whether These Help You All Out Or Not.. I Just Shared What I Do On My PC And My Spotify App Is Working Top-Notch..

Thanking You All..

Regards,

Rahul Haldar - Diehard & Loyal Fan Of Spotify

Oh I am not refuting or discarding your concerns. I was a loyal Spotify fan mostly due to their API which I intended to use. I did actually use it way back when for projects when I was still studying, and I am a huge fan of their APIs. But now that they got involved in political activism, I am not paying money for that. Not on my dime.

It seems that Spotify is doing user experimentation/testing, and it does seem that their platform has become unstable/buggy very recently partly as a result of that. I for one do not doubt at all that you may be experiencing problems with their app.

I can recommend that you try to see if you experience the same issues on the browser version, since you have a little bit more control there as you can for instance run the browser version in a private browser window and it's a bit more isolated. Failing that, maybe uninstall the app, do a restart (hey, it's Windows, yay!), then try to reinstall it from a fresh exe download. See if that solves the issues of an unstable and unreliable app. 

Also important to note that the forums here are very rarely visited by someone from Spotify. We are mostly also concerned users of the app, so if you want Spotify themselves to help you, you need to get in touch with them elsewhere.

I tried the browser version on Firefox, but didn't care for it. There is even less organization of music than with the app.
So far as performing a disk cleanup, I don't do that on a regular basis, as it has never been an issue for me in any version of Windows.

I have a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 20.04, so perhaps instead of running Spotify on Windows, I should run it under Wine on Linux. It might be worth a try.

Well, this turned out to be much easier than I thought:
I didn't think that there was a native version for Linux.
Not sure what I'm expecting though. Why would it work better on Linux than Windows?

Oh, there's one more thing:
While Spotify uses .ogg-vorbis format to stream music, the app will not play .ogg-vorbis files I have on my local drive.

Yeah you may be able to go the other way, namely play Spotify songs offline. But I don't think Spotify is a general purpose music player. On Linux you get a few options, I quite like Foobar even though it's a Windows port. Amarok and the rest are pretty good as well, and you can listen to streams such as podcasts too.

Must say not using Spotify has opened up many other options for me. No regrets, other apps are far better in terms of UX so meh

Suggested posts