Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify only plays my liked songs, nothing else

Spotify only plays my liked songs, nothing else

I'm on windows desktop.
This issues has been going on for a few hours now and i can't seem to fix it. Whenever i try to play a song that isnt between my liked songs, it just won't play. The bar where it shows play button and stuff just gets grayed out, but as soon as I try to play a song i like, there is no issue.

Please help
Top Answer
Eni

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sending us this info. 

We can confirm that our tech team is currently looking into this, so make sure to add your vote to the Ongoing Issue here by clicking on the Thumbs up icon, if you haven't already. Also, make sure to follow the steps we added to the Status update.  

It'll also be useful to Subscribe via the three-dots menu in the top right corner next to the title. We'll be sure to keep you updated with any news on the matter there.

We'll now close this thread as to keep the information in one place. If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

24 Replies

Hey @CosmosJ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome. 

This type of issue is commonly related to some damaged cache stored on your device. In this case, we'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this article. This is often an overlooked step, but it’s more thorough than a quick one and can be helpful in getting rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

Also, would you mind checking if the issue happens on a different device? This will give us a better look at the issue.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey

So i did a clean reinstall and unfortunately it didn't solve my problem. I also tried to get spotify on my phone and I logged into my account and tried to play some music that I don't have in my liked songs or in any of my playlists and it worked. So the problem is definitely with my pc.

Hello, I have been having this problem as well for about 5 days now. I have done so many things and even communicated with the highest tier of customer support and followed all of their instructions, including doing a fresh install of spotify, clearing the hosts file, flushing DNS in cmd, using a test account provided by Spotify, and the persisted through everything. Eventually support said it's likely a problem just with my PC and said to try resetting my PC after backing everything up, which I would like to avoid because I have 2.5TB worth of stuff on my PC and that would be a pain to back up and restore. I am relieved to see that someone else is having this issue because it hints that it might not be an issue with my PC. Maybe we can share information about the issue as we try to figure things out.

Just a quick question. Do you live in a dorm or something? I do and I found a community post where the user had the same problem and he/she lives in a dorm and after testing by connecting to phone hotspot, it worked for him/her so it's an issue with dorm wifi, though I'm not sure why the problem would pop up so suddenly when it had been fine from August 2021 to now. 

Hi 

It is certainly nice to know that there are more people out there with the same issue as me. You have tried way more ways to fix this problem than me. I mainly tried to use different devices or clean reinstall like 3 times now. It works completely fine on my phone, it also works completely fine on my pc when I open it on browser. But as soon as I try to use the app on my pc it just refuses to play anything thats not in my playlists or liked songs. I agree tho resetting the entire pc is a no go. Like that's just not worth it as you would lose more than gain. Its not worth losing so much stuff for spotify honestly. 

Nah, I live in a house with fiber-optic internet. But regardless I don't think that would be the reason why. I don't see anything wrong with wifi causing it. My guess is that either something is blocking spotify from working properly or something. Just my guess. Otherwise I have no clue and it is really frustrating as I can't listen to most of my music as I relied on spotify for years now and using it on browser limits what I can do on my pc. Playing games is a no go if I want to listen to music

I hope solution to this can be found quickly.

I hope the solution can be found quickly as well. I asked about whether you live in a dorm because I had seen a post from someone who did and they said that was the issue with this same problem. However, I tried connecting to my phone's hotspot and it didn't fix it, so that along with the fact that you aren't connected to school wifi means that that isn't the problem. Have you looked at the firewall permissions for spotify on your computer to make sure that it allows it on public and private networks? That's one thing that spotify support had me try, and it didn't work for me, but I think it's still worth a try for you.

Hi folks,

Thanks for your posts.

In order to investigate this further, could you please send us the following info:

• Your Device (Mac/PC) and OS version
  • Current Spotify version
  • Do playlists load at all, or does the playlist page appear blank?
  • Are you using a VPN or a school/ work network?

Looking forward to your replies.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi

- I'm using pc Windows 10

- Spotify version 1.1.98.691.gf759311

- Everything loads fine, it's just that songs that are not in my liked songs or in any playlist (doesn't need to be my playlist, could be any) won't play. I found one song that I can play that isnt in my liked songs and not in playlist. I'm playing it through band's popular songs, but after it ends it doesn't continue playing the next song in line, just stays on the same song.

- I'm not using VPN or anything. I'm at home on my own internet. Recently switched to fiber-optic internet, but that was long before this issue started so that has nothing to do with it.

Hello

Info as follows:

PC laptop running Windows 11 22H2

Spotify for Windows version 1.1.98.691.gf759311c

All of my playlists are there

Using a home network, no VPN

im having the exact same problem.

Device:  PC laptop windows 10
spotify version: 1.1.99.878.g1e4ccc6e (desktop)
all of my playlist are fine

i'm not using a vpn. i am at my own home using my own laptop

Have the  exact same problem

Device: Pc Windows 11

spotify version: Spotify for Windows
1.1.99.878.g1e4ccc6e

All my playlists  are fine.  

I'm not using a vpn. Using my home internet

Have the same problem too

Device: Pc Windows 10

spotify version: Spotify for Windows
Spotify () для Windows
1.1.99.878.g1e4ccc6e

All my playlists are fine.  

I'm not using a vpn. Using my home internet

PC, Windows 10 latest update

Spotify version 1.1.98.691.gf759311c

Everything appears completely normal, only visual difference is if I try to play a song not on my liked songs playlist or in another playlist, it doesn't work and has the song title and album cover blank but appears to be trying because it gets rid of the previous song in that area, but songs that are liked or in a playlist can be played even from the search menu.

No VPN, I was on a school network, but right now I am not and it still doesn't work.

So, I did this to fix another issue, but my spotify worked normally after doing this. I can't tell if that is what caused my spotify to start working fine so you try this at your own risk lol.  All the best! 

https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/000257703

Good post, N116. Followed the instructions at the link but also found that the service in question, Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), was disabled. I started it and now Spotify works fine.

*** At your own risk - backup your computer before making any changes! ***

To check if the WMI service is running, press the Windows key, type Services and under the Services app, choose Run as adminstrator. In the Services app, find the service named Windows Management Instrumentation. Status should say Running. If Status is blank, double click the service to open the Properties window and change the startup type to Manual and then choose Start (if you just want to test it), or Automatic (followed by restarting the computer).

It's possible that just starting the service is enough to make Spotify work; the instructions in N116's link may not have been necessary for me but I have no way back to check. Maybe some others with this issue can try either of these potential solutions and narrow down the cause. Either way, wouldn't have found it without N116's help, so thank you!

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sending us this info. 

We can confirm that our tech team is currently looking into this, so make sure to add your vote to the Ongoing Issue here by clicking on the Thumbs up icon, if you haven't already. Also, make sure to follow the steps we added to the Status update.  

It'll also be useful to Subscribe via the three-dots menu in the top right corner next to the title. We'll be sure to keep you updated with any news on the matter there.

We'll now close this thread as to keep the information in one place. If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hello, suddenly just a few minutes ago spotify began to have no issue with playing songs that I do not have liked or in a playlist. Is it working for you now?

Edit: Now it's not working 🗿

Currently having the same issue on Windows 10, I can play any song when I use the Web Player but only my liked songs when I use the client. Playing any other songs that I don't have liked returns no response on the client, but if I like the song first it DOES play on the client.

I've deleted my cache and reinstalled Spotify and I still have this issue 😕

EDIT (slightly related issue): I'm attempting to develop an app using the Spotify API and it seems that the API properly updates information about my currently playing song when I use the Web player and not at all when using the client, very strange.

Im having the same issue. this just started yesterday. I'm running the most recent version of Spotify.

Suggested posts