Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify's taskbar icon on the wrong monitor every single time (dual monitors)

Solved!

Spotify's taskbar icon on the wrong monitor every single time (dual monitors)

We had a five page thread; Spotify closed it because "nobody responded in a long time". That's because, Spotify, ya never fixed it.

How to reproduce (you need two monitors):

1. Open Spotify and close it on the second monitor.

2. Open Spotify again. The icon will be on the primary monitor, but the window will be on the secondary monitor.

2019-02-01_17-42-06.jpg

Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1803 (April 2018 update).

Spotify version 1.0.99.250.g936eab8d (Windows Store version).

See this 45 second video for the full walkthrough (see a normal application vs Spotify). Put the icon on the correct taskbar, Spotify.

// IGNORE THE TOP ANSWER BELOW: THERE IS NO ANSWER NOR SOLUTION. SPOTIFY COMMUNITY MODS BARELY UNDERSTAND WINDOWS.

// IGNORE "Top Answer" BELOW:

Top Answer
Katerina
Spotify Legend
Hey there,

Thanks for all your comments so far.

We've done some investigating on this and we’d really love to help with this but are unable to as it's to do with Windows rather than Spotify. We recommend getting in touch with our friends at Windows. They’ll be able to provide you with the best possible support.

Sorry we can’t do more, but let us know how you get on. We’ll be right here if you need any further assistance.
120 Replies

Hey @DJN

Just checked a couple of things out for you and I think I've narrowed it down. I think you could be running the windows store app version of Spotify which only seems to stay in the main desktop taskbar due to the windows environment settings.

If you press the windows button you should see the spotify logo as white in a green square if you do have that version.

So the way to solve your problem is to uninstall the app under windows > settings then install the desktop version found here.

Use the same login details and you should find that the logo switches taskbar when you switch display.

Hope that helps!

Andy

I've noticed this too. Very annoying - but can be worked around by dragging the Spotify Window to your primary monitor and back every single time Spotify opens.

This wasn't an issue with the Windows Store version of Spotify prior to the UI Redesign earlier this year though. Seems to be a problem with the Spotify Application itself now.

Might be worth noting how your Secondary Taskbars are configured in Windows 10 however, although I've not tested. For Reference: My Secondary Monitor Taskbar is set to: Show taskbar buttons on: "Taskbar where window is open".

Sidenote: If someone from Spotify actually sees this and is after feedback on that UI Redesign; personal preference favours the old version over the current as the new look just doesn't fit nice with the design and feel of the OS (Doesn't even animate to the Taskbar and back anymore).

I just try to avoid windows store at all costs. I don't want a phone, there is a reason I have a desktop. I just hate the idea of installing via a "third-party" rather than the vendor themselves...

I've noticed this too. Very annoying - but can be worked around by dragging the Spotify Window to your primary monitor and back every single time you open Spotify.

This wasn't an issue with the Windows Store version of Spotify prior to the UI Redesign earlier this year though. Seems to be a problem with the Spotify Application itself now.

Might be worth noting how your Secondary Taskbars are configured in Windows 10 however, although I've not tested. For Reference: My Secondary Monitor Taskbar is set to: Show taskbar buttons on: "Taskbar where window is open".

Sidenote: If someone from Spotify actually sees this and is after feedback on that UI Redesign; personal preference favours the old version over the current as the new look just doesn't fit nice with the design and feel of the OS (Doesn't even animate to the Taskbar and back anymore).

(I posted this earlier today, but for some reason it got deleted. Think that was my wrongdoing though, oops!).

Still have the same issue. Disabling the 'hardware acceleration' doesn't seem to work. Would be great if it is fixed.

Details:

Windows 10, version 1803, build 17134.48

Spotify 1.0.83.318.g6c07039d (Windows Store version)

Just got an update to the Deskto version and seems to have been fixed!

Windows 10 1709, Spotify version 1.0.84.344.gfc674f6f

Ignore....it came back.

For the store version it still seems to be an isssue.

1.0.84.344.gfc674f6f (Windows Store version)

I was too quick to think it was fixed...only worked the first 2 times after updating...now it's back to it's old tricks.... *sigh*

I had another update recently; did not fix it.

The only workaround that only works SOME OF THE TIME is to disable Hardware Acceleration. I'm not quite sure why a music player even needs hardware acceleration, but Spotify performs identically with it on vs off as far as I can tell.

Same here, please fix.

Plan

Premium

Country

GER 

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10 1809 x64

My Question or Issue

I'm using a multi-monitor environment with Spotify on my secondary screen. Spotify remembers the position it was opened the last time. Now, when I close the Spotify app and start it again, the taskbar icon will show up on my main screen but the Spotify app will show up on the secondary screen (see screenshot). I configured my taskbar to only show the apps on the screen in the taskbar (Taskbar with open window). 

The taskbar icon, in this case, should only be shown up on my secondary screen. The taskbar icon will switch the bars when I move the app to the main screen and then move it back to the secondary screen.

2018-12-07 (1).png

Same issue. It's not a Windows issue; I have it on Windows 1803, too!

Also having this issue. Where are you, Spotify...

I just came back looking for that thread...was going to reply with a "It's been nearly a year since we posted, why isn't it fixed" but then found it locked...

*le sigh*  I know others reported fixing it by disabling hardware acceleration, but that doesn't even seem to work anymore.

Yup, same....so here we are in this new thread. I need to set a timer each week to reply here to make sure it doesn't get closed.

Messaged Spotify again and here's the lame response:

NbQwANe

We can assure you that we have alerted our developers about this ongoing this issue and they are investigating the matter. We truly understand how time consuming and frustrating this is for you and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. We'll continue looking into this, however, at this point we can't offer an exact date to when and if we will be able to provide you with a relevant solution. 

Still happening, Spotify. It's been 329 days (10 months and 25 days) since "escalation to the executive team".

Fix the Spotify icon to its window in multi-monitor setups.

• Windows 10 Pro x64 1803
  • Spotify 1.1.3.259.g8172f63a (Windows Store version)

oaKEhAC

Still happening, Spotify. It's been 300 days (9 months and 24 days) since "escalation to the executive team".

The fix: attach the Spotify icon to its window in multi-monitor setups.

Still happening. Not fixed since 311 Days!

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate your reports regarding the Spotify app's icon displaying in the wrong monitor's taskbar when using multiple monitors.

We've passed this on to our tech teams and they'll be looking into this. To stay updated, we'd recommend adding your +VOTE

It'd be also helpful if you could let us know the following details:

• Your device and its OS version
  • The exact version of the Spotify app
  • Any additional information regarding the monitors you're using

Thanks!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Suggested posts