Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify starts at boot up without permission

Spotify starts at boot up without permission

I have selected 'no' in Startup and Windows behaviour settings but Spotify still opens at random boot ups. How is that possible?

This only started to happen a month ago when I upgraded to Win10 fall creators update

21 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the Spotify Community 🙂

Firstly @Hubo changed your question to the right board, thanks!

Secondly let's continue to your issue! Follow these steps:

1. Click on the arrow, then click on settings.Click on the arrow, then click on settings.
  2. Click on show advanced settingsClick on show advanced settings
  3. Scroll down to startup and windows behaviour and select "No"Scroll down to startup and windows behaviour and select "No"

If everything is checked and it still doesn't work after a restart of the computer, try a clean reinstall of spotify: Here's how!

If you liked my post: Feed my ego with likes 😄
If this post has solved your issue: Please accept this as Solution
Music is a world within itself, it is a language we all understand. ~ Stevie Wonder

Thanks for moving my question. Btw, I see now there is a long thread on this problem.

Well, anyways like I mentioned in my question I have 'no' selected in settings. In fact, I have for a long time and it has worked great until a few weeks ago when Spotify decided to start up on random boot ups.

I will try reinstalling. Haven't tried that.

I did the reinstall and it worked great for a few days. No forced start ups.

But yesterday Spotify/Microsoft, not sure who's to blame yet, decided that.. yep, today Spotify will open. What the **bleep** is this? Do algorithms trump user control?

Amazing.. now,  I have Spotify premium, which means I have bought a service.

Can someone direct me to Spotify support?

Hey @steven065,

Sad to hear that you've been having other problems. Did that happen after a firmware update? That might be the cause.

Try checking if the start up at boot is rechecked in the Spotify App setting page. It might just be that it reset to standard settings.

I understand that it's frustrating, but it's worth a shot. I'll point you in the right direction if it doesn't work. 

Music is a world within itself, it is a language we all understand. ~ Stevie Wonder

Leo | Rising Star | Rock Star Program
Follow me on Spotify
Banner_Spotify.png

Startup isn't rechecked in preferences. Never has been. Because I check all the time.

Please point me in the right direction.

Hi @steven065! Merry Christmas!

Can you tell me the exact Spotify version you're running please.

If by any chance you have another PC you could use, you should try replicating the issue. Also, try using a different Spotify account on the same PC.

Tell me how things work out 🙂

Follow me on Spotify
Banner_Spotify.png

1.0.70.388.g8e1ed5af

This is a difficult issue to replicate on another windows device because Spotify randomly starts with windows boot up when it feels like it. I would say out of ten boot ups, Spotify starts twice. Which makes this weird and not right.

Spotify is the only application that behaves this way.

Hi @steven065,

I know t's hard to replicate, bu could you try on a different device with the same OS to see if the issue happens more or less often.

Make sure you log into your right account and choose the correct settings before you start testing things out. This way I can find out if the issue is linked to your device or your accout.

Hope I'll be ale to help out 🙂

Follow me on Spotify
Banner_Spotify.png

I clean reinstalled Windows 10 x64 Home, latest version, a few weeks ago and I noticed there was a bundled Spotify APP, among many others, Candy Crush etc.

I usually delete those right away, which I did, including Spotify. I noticed the Spotify bundled APP had two start up items, before uninstall.

Well anyways I downloaded and installed the desktop version of Spotify and all is good since. No more surprise random startups.

Perhaps it has something to do with 'Windows APP' in the Creators fall update?

I don't know, but it is fixed in my case.

Hey!

It might have been the Windows Store app. I don't use that one, so I don't know. But it's great that now everything works fine again.

Cheers,
Leo

Yeah...... Microsoft and Spotify are bedding each other. Although I'm not sure on the rules. **bleep**? or reacharound. In the end it's us end users who get **bleep**ed.

Again, completely random Spotify starts on boot up. Amazing,  laughable.

Hey!

Can you try the following steps for me:

1. Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to open task manager.
  2. Go to the Startup tab.
  3. Right-click on Spotify 
  4. Select Disable

I hope this finally solves what's going on,

Leo

Leo | Rock Star | Rock Star Program
Follow me on Spotify
Banner_Spotify.png

Dude/Bro/etc.. whatever you prefer. Thanks for helping out, but I KNOW, task manager. Been there so many times over the years. Spotify isn't there. Never has been because I check all the time.

But this 'question' https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Spotify-starting-automatically/td-p/4388235 caught my attention. Might be something there.

Hi! You can call me whatever you want 😉

Spotify has just recently released a new update recently. Could you try checking for updates? This update may address what's going on with the startup of Spotify!

I hope this finally works out for you,

Leo

Follow me on Spotify
Banner_Spotify.png

Hi,

This now actually a core Windows 10 feature since the Fall Creator's update.

Old Windows feature:

closes all programs on shutdown, does not save particular data.

New Windows feature:

saves all unclosed programs on shutdown, re-opening them after startup for a "better user experience".

Currently there are no ways (not even regedit) to turn this off.

The only way to stop programs from launching on startup is closing them beforehand (I suggest logging out before shutting the computer down).

This is, in my opinion, annoying as all **bleep**, but the Windows team won't change this unless "enough" people send "feedback".

tl;dr - it's the new Windows, saving all un-closed apps before shutdown for a quick launch of the apps.

Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_perf-insiderplat_pc/programs...

So, it's Windows then? Sorry, Spotify AB

I want to shutdown my pc without 'better user experience' features.

Don't care if something is open. This is what I do, and LIKE to do.

But, I understand. I thought this was really sinister.. lol

Firefox behaves this way well recently.

Have to agree with Steven065 on this one.

If I want a program to open.

I will freaking open the program!

I do not need spotify or Microsoft deciding they get to say when, just because either think its great to have a opt out option rather than opt in.

Programs that do things when I tell them not to, I consider malware and it really makes me think of dumping them. Case in point Nero burning rom started this sort of BS 4 or 5 years back, forcing popups and adds to update to the latest version, guess which software I no longer use.

So yea keep it up if you want to lose a lot of paying customers.

p.s. If anyone offical at spotify / staff wants to respond to this, please feed this back to the higher up's, you are not doing yourselfs any favours.

Hey!

Disclaimer: I do not in any way work for Spotify. 

I'm totally on your side and I don't think that it was a good move from Microsoft's side to reopen every tab you had open when you closed the PC. 

I just would like to clarify that Spotify can't do anything about it. It's a move from Microsoft without influence from all other companies that have apps on your computer. 

Maybe go suggest that they take it away on the Microsoft forums?

Have a great day, 

Leo

Follow me on Spotify
Banner_Spotify.png

Thanks LeoRager, Ive no doubt MS have part of the blame as well, but the fact remains that there is a setting within spotify that auto launches it unless you opt out.

i.e.

Username

Settings

Advanced Settings

Statup and Window Behaviour

"Open spotify automaticall after you log into the computer"

There is zero need for this to be a opt out.

If I want to open spotify I know where it is, I will click on it.

Suggested posts