Premium

Device

Windows PC

Macbook Pro

Operating System

Windows 10

macOS Catalina

My Question or Issue

I recently noticed that the desktop apps are unfollowing users/profiles. I'm not sure if it just shows that a certain user profile is unfollowed or not. For example when I check out some user's profile the desktop app shows that I'm not following them but on the friend activity sidebar that user shows up.

Also if I check the same profile on my mobile it shows that I'm following said user.

The issue is not only with one user/profile but multiple. Same issue on Windows and Mac. I've clicked the follow button multiple times and checking the same profile later shows that I'm not following said user anymore. It doesn't seem to affect followed artists, just profiles.

Spotify version on both platforms is 1.1.67.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This is now fixed in desktop version 1.1.68

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Do you follow more than 1,000 users/artists combined?

I follow about 2,500 and ever since the new desktop update came out back in the spring of 2021, my profile has been limited to only showing 1,000 for the following count and when I click to see all the people/artists I am following, I don't get the full list.

Now, following users still worked until a recent update where I ran into the same problem as you. When I go to some user profiles, the button that usually says "following" now says "follow". When I check their following list I a show up and when I go to their user profile in the mobile app, it shows I am following them. But the button doesn't show the correct following status.

I wish Spotify would fix the desktop app so the following system and user profiles would work again like in the old desktop app.

MattSudaSpotify Star

I remember that issue but I only follow something like 200 artists/users. 

Must be unrelated to the 1,000+ following issue then and just a general issue. The main part of that issue with the library being broken has been fixed for a few months now, just need the profile to display the correct number now.

I just checked the web player and the following status is working just fine there. Usually changes are pushed to the web player first and then shortly after to the desktop app since they both share the same infrastructure now. Hopefully shouldn't be too long for a fix.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Yeah, on web and mobile it shows correctly but on desktop it shows FOLLOW button instead of UNFOLLOW.

Marked as solution

This is now fixed in desktop version 1.1.68

MattSudaSpotify Star

Still haven't gotten the update but after I get it I'll test it and report back.

Alright, sounds good! 

MattSudaSpotify Star

Forgot to report back. Issue seems to be fixed now.

Thanks for confirming. Glad to hear!

MattSudaSpotify Star

Suggested posts