What is the Private Session?

Solved!

What is the Private Session?

SpotifyUser1

I am just wondering what is Private Session? I don't want my songs to be shared on the Spotify Activity bar next to my friend's activity. Does having Private Session checked mean I can listen withoutsharing my activity?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: What is the Private Session?

user-removed
Not applicable

Hey Rocio,

Great response, however I want to add some things to this.

When you use a Private session option, nothing posted to Facebook, Spotify Social and Last.fm. ;)

Cheers.

View solution in original post

Solution!

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community about this. 

By default, anyone who follows you on Spotify can see what you’re listening to with Friend Activity.

If you'd like your activity to not be displayed there, you can switch on Private Listening. There's more info on how to do this on your device here

Keep in mind that a Private Session ends automatically when you restart Spotify, or after a long period of inactivity.

Further, anything you listen to in a Private Session may not influence your music recommendations, for example your Discover Weekly.

Hope this helps clarify things! If there's anything else we can help with, just give us a shout and we'll be happy to lend a hand.

Have a lovely day :)

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

41 Replies

Rocio
Spotify Legend

Hello there!

Exactly, when you click on "Private session" that means everything you listen to on Spotify will not appear on Facebook, so no one will know about it. 

I hope this helps, 

Thanks for using this community :)

-----------------------------

Rocio

Community Manager

Use the "Accept as solution" button if your problem has been solved :)

♬Music is life♬
Solution!

user-removed
Not applicable

Hey Rocio,

Great response, however I want to add some things to this.

When you use a Private session option, nothing posted to Facebook, Spotify Social and Last.fm. ;)

Cheers.

floristijdink

that is not true!,

When i listin my songs in private session, they still appear as my favorite songs if someone looks in all my favorites, so it is not entirely private. can you delete this?

Jude
Spotify Legend

Check out Preferences (Win: Edit menu; Mac: Spotify menu)

You can choose where to share under Activity Sharing

You can choose what to show in your profile under Profile

Lukasvan3L

on the iPad app, the private session only lasts for 6 hours, then it gets reset to a public session!?! 

How come it's not respecting my privacy settings?

Peter__
Community Legend

I'm pretty sure Private Session gets reset on all platforms after a set amount of time or after you log out and back in again. 

If you don't want to share, you can turn Spotify social and sharing to Facebook off from the Spotify > Preferences menu.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Flick9
Casual Listener

So basically it is not possible to be antisocial by default on spotif? The first thing I do after launching spotify is to turn the private. Session on. Music can be a very privatethingfor a lot of people. Can't believe this policy. 

Richard
Roadie

@Flick9 wrote:

So basically it is not possible to be antisocial by default on spotif? The first thing I do after launching spotify is to turn the private. Session on. Music can be a very privatethingfor a lot of people. Can't believe this policy. 

Turning your sharing off in your Preferences as described above will do the trick. Private Sessions will expire after an amount of time or logging out, but your Preferences are saved.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Flick9
Casual Listener

Thanks Richard. 

The problem was I kept looking fothis'll option on the iPad and couldn't find it. Hence my frustration. And on the subject of the iPad. There's no cursor in the input teleaving on the commenting on this forum. Any ideas?

SUGGESTED POSTS