Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

When I start the app it also opens spotify.com in the browser. Make it stop!

When I start the app it also opens spotify.com in the browser. Make it stop!

Every time I start the spotify windows app it also opens the spotify website in my browser. How do I make this stop?

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

8 Replies

Hey @garyglas, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a clean reinstall of the app following these steps.

If you're still having trouble, let me know what device this happens on, as well as the current software version. Also, if you can, attach a short screen recording of what happens when you try to open the app.

Let me know how this goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Reinstall did not fix it. I can't attach a screen cap because it's too big. Anyway all it shows is spotify starting and then the browser starting on top of it.

Hey @garyglas

Can you tell me which browser it opens up on? Does this happen when you automatically open the app each time? 

Also, can you let me know what device this happens on, as well as the current software version? Lastly, when it opens up to a browser is it the same one each time or any one you have on your device? 

Keep me updated.

Billy-JSpotify Star

It opens Vivaldi which is my default browser. Always the same browser.

Windows 10.

Current version of Microsoft Store app.

Happens every time I start the Spotify app.

Hey @garyglas

Could you clear the cache and cookies of your browser, and if that doesn't make a difference, could you also reinstall the browser?

Additionally, you could try downloading the app from the web here and let me know if the issue persists. 

Looking out for your reply and let me know how this goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star

I reinstalled Spotify with that executable and the problem went away.

Hey @garyglas

That's great! I'm happy to hear everything is good to go. If you need help in the future, you can always start a new topic and the Community will be happy to help.

Have a great day!

Billy-JSpotify Star

Here's a clue. Spotify made me change my password. I suppose the algorithm choked on me uninstalling, reinstalling, relogging in so many times. I changed my password on my mobile device, so when I started Spotify on my Windows desktop the next day, it didn't have the right credentials yet. Guess what? It opened the browser. But once I had logged in and restarted Spotify it stopped opening the browser. So I suspect the original issue has something to do with authentication.

Suggested posts