Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot Create Device Password

Solved!

Cannot Create Device Password

So I'm going through the process of trying to log in to spotify on my new android phone.

I can lot in with spotify, but am permanently 'offline', and evidently need to sign in with my device password.

I go through the process of requesting a device password through my account online. I click on the link in the email sent to me, enter my password once, confirm my password, then click on "Set Device Password". Two seconds later I get told "There was a problem setting your password". 

I've tried this repeatedly, but there's no more detail as to what this "Problem" is...a little frustrating.

Anyone have a solution?

76 Replies

I've been trying this every day, and still no luck. Terribly annoying.

I'm having this same issue.. can't create a password, can't delete account and can't submit a contact form.  I'm getting highly irritated.

Any news on this? It's still not working for me... surely there's another way to sign in while this gets fixed?

i now get the "We're sorry, your email address was not available, please try to log out, log back in and try again. If the problem continues, please contact support." error. What's going on? I can't believe that an issue like this, effecting so many people, isn't being looked at. seriously bad support from Spotify on this. 

Also having the same problem. Trying to set it up so I can use Spotify on my squeezebox. I found a lot of people having trouble getting the original email to set password, which I finally got to go through. But, now I keep having "problems setting your device password" with no additional information.

Sorry everyone. We are still working on this. Sorry for the inconvenience!

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Follow me: Google+ | Spotify | Spotify Community

Same here - why did I pay for premium and can't even get anything set up.. grrrr, frustrating! 

Any chance of an ETA? 🙂

Same problem here, waiting for solution...

Same issue here.  Any ETA???

Same here

when will this get resolved?

Same problem, is infuriating

Indeed. Two week laters still no solution. Only Facebook login works. For my Onkyo reciver which does not support this feature i still cannot login, or set a new device password. A shame Spotify!! 😞

I have exactly the same issue. And non helping suggestions from support instead they fix the problem they keep insulting the paying customers with these worthless suggestions. Do they even know what's going on? Thinking of switching to a different provider real soon!

Hello:

Any users here who are still having issues getting the device password setup to work through their accounts page, can you please provide some more information?

1. What devices is being used to try and set a device password with?

2. What is the OS being used?

3. What browser is being used to do this with and version?

4. What is you listening region in case of a local server issue that can be looked into?

5. Exact error message you are seeing.

6. Double check your email clients Spam folder for any emails for device password confirmations from Spotify.

7. If you went through the customer support process through email, make sure you responded back to that email even if it says from noreply, this will help push your case number into the system to get looked into. And also use the original email with the case number in it in when responding back at anytime with your issue.

Also if using a desktop system with a browser to set a device password, make sure you clear cookies and browser history and try again. If that does not work, double check there is no browser extension causing any issues with the device password setup, temporarily disable third party browser extensions first and then restart the browser, and now attempt to set a device password again through your accounts page. Double check that any security tools or software you might be using is not blocking the setup process for a device password. Also if successful setting up a device password, facebook Spotify users remember to write down your 10 digit user ID from your accounts page from here: https://www.spotify.com/account/set-device-password/ as that will be your user name sign on from now on along with the new device password to get back into your Spotify account using any Spotify app.  

I saw one reply by spotify to a complaint about this on twitter and it worked for me

on facebook: 'settings' > 'security' > 'app passwords' > 'generate app passwords' then type spotify into the box. It will then generate a password for you.

Weirdly though once I had logged on using that password my username and password became my facebook credentials and I didnt have to use my device username and password. 

1. Any device I have that can connect to and browse the Internet. Samsung Galaxy S6, ASUS notebook computer, and Google Nexus 7. This is not a device-specific problem.

2. Android 5.1 and Windows 8.

3. Google Chrome 46.0.2490.86 m

4. Salt Lake City area.

5. I request a device password through spotify.com, follow the link in the email I receive, and once I enter a password and submit, "There was a problem setting your password" displays in a red box above the text box where I entered the password. I have done this at least 10 times, and the result never changes. I'll attach an image.

6. Nothing.

7. Ok.

A fix for this would be greatly appreciated. Considering switching my streaming service because of the slow response to this issue that affects a lot of users.

probz.png

Also having this problem. Previous Twitter suggestion didn't work for me. Edit: The Twitter suggestion works for me to login to clients but not the online account area - thanks to the user who suggested it!

The email to set the password didn't even arrive for hours for me!

Same problem here!

-windows

-android

Suggested posts