Help - Accounts and Subscriptions

Music Fan
Accepted Solution

How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

Solution!
Chosen by octodur (Garage Band)
Spotify Legend

Re: How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

[ Edited ]

If they have a Spotify account, you could locate them with their username, by using the following technique - 

Type the following code into the Spotify search bar - spotify:user:[username] (replacing [username] with their Spotify username), and you should be able to locate their account. For example, to find your account, type in spotify:user:chellievista and press enter, and your account will appear.

-----
Airhorn Enthusiast

View solution in original post

Solution!
Chosen by gr33nmind (Garage Band)
Kudos: 14,689
Solutions: 3,566
Community Mentor
Ideas Guardian
Protector of Newbs
Troubleshooter

Re: How do I find a friend on Spotify if I have their email address but they are not on Facebook?

gr33nmind wrote:

sorry yes I mean follow, how can you follow a friend from facebook who uses spotify, w/o waiting for the random follow message to appear. Most of the people that it asks me to follow, do not even have a library, so the suggestions are kinda pointless. Only rarely does a green follow box appear, wt a person that even uses spotify, wt a good music library. 

If you know the name of the person then you should just be able to search for them in the main search box and as long as you are friends on Facebook you should get a search suggestion for their profile under the heading "users":

users.png

Does that not work? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Solution!
Chosen by talldarkcynical (Music Fan)
Kudos: 220

The spotify:user search function requires you to know the exact Spotify username of your friend. If your friends username is Abc123 and you search for Abc12, nothing will show up.

Dont foget to KUDOS if you think this post helpful :)

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Solution!
Chosen by MattyDRx (Music Lover)
Festival Headliner

You can try just searching the user name multiple ways and look under Profiles from the name search each time. There might be allot of users using some form of that user name. What your friend could do is send you an URI link to one of their user created playlists in a social media page, or a pm, or email message, and when you open the playlist in either the desktop app or webplayer just under the playlist name their correct user name will be shown, and clicking on it will allow you to go directly to their profile page so you can click on their follow button.

-Jay
What is a Spotify Rock Star/Rising Star and how do I become one?
Note I am not a Spotify Employee, I just help out around on the community!

| Spotify Profile | last.fm Profile | Send Me A Message | Twitter Profile |

All Replies
Solution!
Chosen by octodur (Garage Band)
Spotify Legend

[ Edited ]

If they have a Spotify account, you could locate them with their username, by using the following technique - 

Type the following code into the Spotify search bar - spotify:user:[username] (replacing [username] with their Spotify username), and you should be able to locate their account. For example, to find your account, type in spotify:user:chellievista and press enter, and your account will appear.

-----
Airhorn Enthusiast
Music Fan

David - just to clarify, are you saying there is no way to find a user just based on their email address?

Spotify Legend

Allowing identification of users by email address would be a breach of privacy, unless each user specifically agreed to it.

Email your friend, and ask them to send you a link to one of their playlists.

Music Lover

"spotify:user: [username]" does not work. Why is this so difficult??? Im annoyed.

Kudos: 14,689
Solutions: 3,566
Community Mentor
Ideas Guardian
Protector of Newbs
Troubleshooter

ColdSummer wrote:

"spotify:user: [username]" does not work. Why is this so difficult??? Im annoyed.

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

Do you get an error message? Are you sure you are searching with a dedicated Spotify username? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Music Lover

Yes I get an error message that says " Load user error"

Music Fan

I was having similar trouble adding one of my friends because he gave me the wrong username.  So I just typed out "spotify:user:godfreybk" in an email and told him to copy and paste into his search function.  It worked immediately.  So as long as you know your own username, I would suggest doing that.

Music Fan

This sounds like a pro feature. I would reccomend a better user friendly approach to adding friends or people you want to follow.

It's like the most basic feature I've always expected to find, but never found...

Concert Regular

I use Spotify every day, and spotify:user:xxxxxxxxx ' is not working, has something to do with numbers and not with a name..!

Announcements
Test Spotify Connect
Would you like to help QA test Connect? If so, please log in or register.

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.