Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify automatically change song & automatically starts playing.

Spotify automatically change song & automatically starts playing.

My spotify has several times without reason started to play randomly chosen music from the playlist that I'm currently listening to. Even if I pause a song in spotify and close the window, spotify starts to play music. It is really annoying listening to a song and suddenly spotify change it.

Help me! 😞

39 Replies

I have the same problem, can't find why this is happening.

Anyone any thoughts?

Hello,

Do you have a keyboard with media controls that might be picking up accidental keystrokes at all?
Airhorn Enthusiast

I have using a Lenovo T420 laptop with a dock, I have disconnected my keyboard/mouse/screen but the problem keeps happening.

The problem does not occur constantly, sometimes it will work for one or two days and on the third day this problem occurs the whole day.

Is it prossible to disable the build HTTP server / disable API?

I have the same issue, but to me Spotify just goes into a rage and changes songs again and again. Pausing doesnt help, it just keeps changing songs. To understand what i mean you can try pressing arrow key up or down repeatedly while pressing enter repeatedly.

I even exit the program and restart and even then it sometimes starts to do the same again. Other times it just changes the song playing on it's own accord and leaves it.

@PsyDuke that is exactly my problem!!

Hmm, probably not a keyboard issue then! Let's try a couple of other things here. 

* First of all, try a clean installation of the Spotify client. 

* After this, pop into the Preferences menu (Edit > Preferences) and try turning off "Enable Hardware Acceleration" 

Airhorn Enthusiast

Alright, I'm trying it right now.
Will let you know if this fixes it.

Nope, did not fix the problem.

Spotify starts playing music even when I'm not near my pc

Did not fix it for me either!

Any thoughts? This is driving me crazy.... 

Can someone from spotify respond please?

Same here.  It seems to work fine if I just play a song then stay on the spotify window.  It goes berserk when I alt+tab or even click on another window, usually when I open a game to fullscreen.  Super super annoying as I love to listen to music when I game.

Try turning off "Enable Hardware Acceleration" in the Preferences menu - That might help here.
Airhorn Enthusiast

@David

I've already tried that, no fix.

Every day I have this stupid problem, Spotify mail support does not respond at all....

Again, anyone?

Still having this problem, spotify doens't want to help.

Great support guys...not.

Hey guys 🙂 

This is definitely a strange problem, does this occur if Spotify is minimised to the System Tray? 

You can do this by right clicking on the icon in the system tray selecting "Hide Spotify from Taskbar when closed" and then pressing the "X" in the corner of the Spotify window. 

Can you also share which version of Windows and Spotify client (Help > About) you are using? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

happens to me also. but it doesnt go into a rage luckily. just randomly starts playing a song when i have paused and also changes songs sometimes i think. i have media controls but unless im delusional im not clicking on them when this is happening ;D

PS Kudos for not closing old threads so the forum doesn't have to get infested with similar threads and very hard to find solutions.

fun facts:

i was looking at registered date and thought this thread was older..

my music just started playing in a youtube video and i thought: hey what great background music they added to the movie (for a few moments)

Hi,

It always occur, doesn't matter where spotify is. I can focus the window or minimize / leave it in the background.

It just starts playing music, going back to the first song of the playlist.

Sometimes it happens 10 ten times per minute, i'm not even using spotify anymore because of this problem and crappy support.

I always run the latest version.

Gr,

DJVG

I'm using spotify on Linux but I have the same problem. It doesn't go crazy but it randomly starts to play on its own. I've noticed it mostly seems to happen right after I wake it up after putting it to sleep, though it does happen other times as well. It's obviously not related to which OS you're using. I think it's clear that changing preferences won't help. It's definitely a bug. This has been happening for as long as I've been using Spotify (quite a while) and it drives me crazy. The only solution I have is to completely kill Spotify, not just pause the song and come back later. Otherwise I come back and find it playing.

Suggested posts