Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS 7 no longer plays with car's USB

iOS 7 no longer plays with car's USB

I have been playing spotify through my car's (2010 Honda Fit) USB connection for the last few months. But the day I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS7, it stops working. It will play for maybe a minute, sometimes a whole song, then stop. Error message "Unsupported". My phone will play the songs I have in my iTunes just fine through the same USB, so it's not an issue with the cord. The timing of the iOS update seems like it's something with the app or the phone. I'm bummed. Any ideas?

18 Replies

thankfully i am not the only one with this issue... very much looking forward to a solution here or to an update that will fix this. its a HUGE bummer

I really hope they do something about this. I'm having the same issue in my Honda Fit, as well. Not much sense in having the premium subscription if I can't listen to it through my car. If this doesn't change sometime soon, they're most likely losing a subscriber, here.

To my knowledge Spotify never "officially" supported USB playback in cars, it just happened to work. 

Not sure what that means in terms of a fix! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have a Kia Optima SXL and im having the same problem. When i connect my iphone to the car usb and play music through the ipod app, it works fine but when i switch to spotify, songs play for about 5 seconds and then my car will give an error saying "device unsupported".

I am having the exact same issue with my 2012 Honda Accord. If anyone has a fix, please help. If not I will be unsubscribing =(

this is EXACTLY  what is happening to me too. i also have the same car too. i am going to unsubscribe to spotify if they dont fix it soon. which is a really big bummer because i love spotify!! PLEASE FIX THIS SOON!!

darn!

Same thing with my Honda CR-Z - - - lots of Honda cards - - - maybe it's a Honda thing??

I have a volvo s60 from 2010, since iOS7 my car's forward and back button doesn't react with spotify anymore....

Same deal on our 2009 Fit.  One thing that usually get it back is to turn off radio, play a song stored on the iPhone with Music app, then launch Spotify.  Seems to work at least for a while.

Pretty sure this isn't a Spotify issue, but an iOS 7 issue. 2011 Volvo S80 supported iTunes via USB and also happened to stream Spotify through the same connection. After the update, my car's head-unit can no longer read the phone. If I get music -- from either iTunes or Spotify, it will play a song or two, at which point the head unit says, "USB UNREADABLE" and the phone says, "This accessory is not supported by iPhone".

Yes I had this exact same experience with my 2012 Accord.   Worked fine for months with USB, but first time after loading ios7, I get "nonsupported" message.  BUT-- there is an upside.  You can still use the headphone jack connection to connect your phone to car stereo.  And yes, you don't get the info on your car screen and you need a separate charger if you are driving all day to keep the phone battery charged.  BUT in my car (and I suspect everybody's), using the headphone jack gives much much better bass response than the USB.  You crank up the volume on the phone, and use the car volume control to set the volume you want, and the bass is really great.  For my driving patterns (mostly commuting to work, and being able to charge the phone at work), the bass factor is more important than the charging factor, so even if Spotify fixes the software to make the USB work again, I think I'll stick with the headphone jack.

Same deal. Kinda sucks because I got Spotify specifically for offline use in the car while driving. I can't use it any more, what do I do, pay for a service I can't use? No thanks...

only soultion is to hear via Bluetooth Audio in your Car.....i hope there will be an Update soon!!!!

I am having the same issue after the ios7 update. Please fix soon or I will probably unsubscribe.

I'm having the exact same problem in my 2012 Hyundai Veloster. 

This is a major downer...

Hey guys 🙂 

@Goodman has opened a bugs tracker for "in car" issues. 

If you would all be able to add the requested details to this bugs topic it would greatly help the developers get to the bottom of the issues.

Peter

Peter

I just bought my honda fit 2013 yesterday and I was sooo excited to be able to hook up my iPhone 5 to my USB connect cause I'm a huge fan of spotify! I'm getting the same "unsupported" error message as everyone else 😞 I'm soo bummed out. I know it's not the phone or the cable cause my music on my phone plays perfectly fine.. It's only when I use spotify... I'm probably gonna unsubscribe cause I mainly use spotify in my car. I hope there is a fix soon enough

Hey everyone 🙂 

Just so we can keep the discussion all collected in one place, I am going to lock this topic now. 

If you are having any issues with Spotify on iOS 7 and your in car system, can you please add your details to the official bugs topic where the developers are collecting information so they can hopefully pinpoint the issue! If you haven't yet added your information there, I would kindly ask you do so, the more information they can gather the better it is normally! 

Many thanks! 

Peter

Peter

Suggested posts