Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Account] Change Username

I know this is probably out there somewhere already, but I find it quite frustrating that I was assigned a "username" of lots of numbers when my account was created.  It makes it hard for people to find me, as I can't remember my username, let alone try to get them to.  Can we please make it an option to change our username?  Even if there is a once-a-year change or something...that would be such a helpful thing!

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change.
However, you can now add or change your display name on mobile!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

There's more on this here.

Comments
Gjmarks

Please it can't be that difficult to allow users to change their username. I have had my account for four or five years and don't want to lose my history and messages. I can't share music though because my old username isn't myname anymore. It sucks. SUCKS. 

seloh77

This is an issue with a lot of websites, I've recently started to change my username of several accounts because I want to shift from the nickname I started using in college to something more professional or less "playfull".

Some sites just say 'A nick/user-name is for life!' others have (understandably) specific rules/processes for changing it and only a few just let you change it in your profile.

I prefer the second method, so you can't just change your nick on the fly, all the time (or not at all) but have to put a little effort in it or can only do it once every x years.

Hope this feature will be implemented soon!

I support the proposal to 200% and for the same reason that "seloh77" 

I hope to see the idea taken into consideration 🙂

Snapizzle

I think most people would accept being able to add a name to their profile rather than making the actual username changable.

I get that Spotify's implementation might be using the actual username in the backend but all that means is they need another field, like a "profile name", that can be changed by users and seen by others.

Look at Steam accounts - you can't change your username there either, but nobody cares because the profile shows whatever name you want. And you can search for your friends using either that name or your username. Boom.

Nobody cares as long as you can find your friends and know who they are.

Right now we can't do that.

Just seems crazy.

kefirs

Just make it possible to change Display or Profile name and that is it! This is ridicioulous you can't have it. I was advocating Spotify to my clients, but now I am thinking about other solutions

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now

2015-02-23

Hey everyone! We are marking this idea as 'not right now' but please note can now find your friends by searching for either their Spotify username or their full name (if their Spotify account is linked to their Facebook). Thanks again for your continued feedback!

kadıköysound

This is an important issue. Also, When you connect your account with a facebook account, you cant also change it with another. Stupid.  So today i decided to subscribe from spotify. İ won'T pay you since you work better.

tori89

I agree with faazshift.

As a PAYING CUSTOMER..

I think it's a disgrace that we cannot change such a simple thing. I got VERY frustrated when I found out I could not change mine. I can't imagine what it's like when you have a random username assigned to you and you have to go through the whole trouble of contacting customer service to get a WHOLE new account?? Not acceptable. And I would fully support adding in the option to change username, even if it is a one off thing, for example only allow a change once a year, or if they must, charge you for it. Then AT LEAST they actually have the option.

Ritooon

I agree too, it would be great to have the possibility to use a nickname (As on FB I guess ? So maybe you could get it from our FB account ;)) 

bobbile

let us change user names. it shoud not be so hard?

it work on most mmo games and stuff.

please let us do it ffs!!!!

thanks. (i use ny patetic username here)

something need to happen.