Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add support for Google ChromeCast

Will you be adding support to the ChromeCast that Google announced today? Would be great to be able to easily stream music from all my devices to my receiver and tv.

Please see the Api information here: https://developers.google.com/cast/

Update: implementing ChromeCast is superior to using the Chrome browser plugin to move a tab with the Spotify web interface to your TV for multiple reasons. Most importantly:

- You can stream higher fidelity

- You can stream from every device, not only from a computer/laptop

- You can control from multiple devices (so if I leave the room my wife can control Spotify with her phone)

If implemented correctly this would match the functionality of Sonos for a much lower price.

Update February 4th 2014: Okay, so Google has released the SDK now. Please start working on the functionality or at the very minimum give an update to the status...

Update February 19th 2014: 2,000 kudos, hundreds of replies (with more than a handful of cancelations). Apparently Spotify Germany has confirmed Chromecast support is coming. An update would be nice

Update March 24th 2014: 2,500 kudos and still no update. Cancelled my subscription today. Sorry, but if you don't listen to your paying customers we will have to speak with our wallets.

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce one of your most requested features here in The Spotify Idea Exchange is here. Spotify now works with your Chromecast.

With Chromecast, listening at home is easy. Simply plug in and cast music directly from your phone or tablet. Play, skip, browse and search using the Spotify app--all Spotify users will get the on demand experience on Chromecast. Oh, and feel free to make calls, watch a video or play games - the music will keep playing. Even if your battery runs out.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Spotify on Chromecast from SpotifyCares on Vimeo.

Comments
snadder6

Will this one add support to the webplayer at play.spotify.com for chromecast aswell?

machial
Tried my iPhone and my tab 4 but still not have chromecast support (old one)...
MarcoMio

Yesterday I bought the Chromecast Audio. Spotify immediately recognized it, on my Android phone (Nexus 6) and on my iPad as well. It works great! 

Thanks Spotify, I love it!

Vortexmind

So for old Chromecast users looks like it will be rolled out soon - fingers crossed!

baldert

Finally received the Chromecast (1st gen) firmware update 1.16.44433, but I am still not able to cast spotify to it. How long do we have to wait?

comdoritos

O meu chromecast (1st gen) também atualizou para a versão 1.16.44433 mas o spotify não conecta, ele aparece só no modo visitante mas não conecta nada. Quando ambos dispositivos estão conectados na mesma rede Wifi não aparece. Engraçado que outros apps como Netflix, YouTube e JustDance Now, funcionar normalmente.

My chromecast (1st gen) Also updated to version 1.16.44433 spotify but does not connect, it appears only in visitor mode but does not connect anything. When BOTH devices are connected to the same Wifi network does not appear. Funny que other apps like Netflix, YouTube and just dance Now, function Normally.

RedDown

I can cast from my Android phone to my Chromecast Audio. But I can't cast from my laptop to my Chromecast Audio. This is really annoying.

DavyPaul

I understand this feature has arrived. I will try later! Thanks...

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce one of your most requested features here in The Spotify Idea Exchange is here. Spotify now works with your Chromecast.

With Chromecast, listening at home is easy. Simply plug in and cast music directly from your phone or tablet. Play, skip, browse and search using the Spotify app--all Spotify users will get the on demand experience on Chromecast. Oh, and feel free to make calls, watch a video or play games - the music will keep playing. Even if your battery runs out.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Spotify on Chromecast from SpotifyCares on Vimeo.

ChrisBernard
Streaming can only be initiated from the iPhone app. It doesn't show up on
the Mac desktop app.
However, once connected with mobile you can control it from Spotify Desktop
(volume, pause, change tracks etc)...

Is it just me?