Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add support for Google ChromeCast

Will you be adding support to the ChromeCast that Google announced today? Would be great to be able to easily stream music from all my devices to my receiver and tv.

Please see the Api information here: https://developers.google.com/cast/

Update: implementing ChromeCast is superior to using the Chrome browser plugin to move a tab with the Spotify web interface to your TV for multiple reasons. Most importantly:

- You can stream higher fidelity

- You can stream from every device, not only from a computer/laptop

- You can control from multiple devices (so if I leave the room my wife can control Spotify with her phone)

If implemented correctly this would match the functionality of Sonos for a much lower price.

Update February 4th 2014: Okay, so Google has released the SDK now. Please start working on the functionality or at the very minimum give an update to the status...

Update February 19th 2014: 2,000 kudos, hundreds of replies (with more than a handful of cancelations). Apparently Spotify Germany has confirmed Chromecast support is coming. An update would be nice

Update March 24th 2014: 2,500 kudos and still no update. Cancelled my subscription today. Sorry, but if you don't listen to your paying customers we will have to speak with our wallets.

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce one of your most requested features here in The Spotify Idea Exchange is here. Spotify now works with your Chromecast.

With Chromecast, listening at home is easy. Simply plug in and cast music directly from your phone or tablet. Play, skip, browse and search using the Spotify app--all Spotify users will get the on demand experience on Chromecast. Oh, and feel free to make calls, watch a video or play games - the music will keep playing. Even if your battery runs out.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Spotify on Chromecast from SpotifyCares on Vimeo.

Comments
pavgen

by ChrisBernard 2 weeks ago
Streaming can only be initiated from the iPhone app. It doesn't show up on
the Mac desktop app.
However, once connected with mobile you can control it from Spotify Desktop
(volume, pause, change tracks etc)...

Is it just me?

not just you!  I hope full support for the osx app comes soon.. 

phdzor

still cant cast on my nvidia shield tv with google cast...

phaetonsflug

Finally! After waiting for months (or even years???) I can cast from my android phone to my chromecast without any workarounds. I had cancelled my premium subscription months ago because I did not agree with the way spotify dealt with the whole chromecast situation. Had they told us: "Guys, we're working on it, please be patient" a couple of months ago, I might have stayed. But instead the just ignored us (at least that's what it seemed like). So I tried Google play music, Deezer and Rdio. They all have chromecast support but nonetheless I was never really satisfied (didn't like the interfaces or casting was buggy/unstable) so I always hoped Spotify would come around. And they did and it was worth the wait: no bugs so far, casting works flawlessly, the chromecast interface looks good! I love it! 🙂

Now let's see if they manage to implement chromecast support for the desktop/browser apps. At least in Chrome it shouldn't be a big deal, right?

takoja

Please bring Chromecast support to the desktop and web-player.

It's completely unacceptable that I have to initiate a stream from my phone to be able to get the chromecast to show up on the desktop program. Why can my phone find the chromecase, but my laptop can't? Why can my laptop find my phone (and vice-versa) but it can't find a chromecast until my phone finds it first? What a weird quirk.

Jack_Straw
It's still basically new tech, so ya there's bugs they need to work out. Just be happy it works
philmonty7

So far I love Spotify and prefer it over Pandora 10 fold, however I would love to have a song added... It's an instrumental  by Buddy Emmons called "Night Life".  While you have this song it's a vocal, not the beautiful instrumental by Emmons.  I have this song on my iPad. Is there any way to get it into Spotify?  Thanks in advance, Phil Montalbano.

@Arjen82 wrote:

Will you be adding support to the ChromeCast that Google announced today? Would be great to be able to easily stream music from all my devices to my receiver and tv.

Update: implementing ChromeCast is superior to using the Chrome browser plugin to move a tab with the Spotify web interface to your TV for multiple reasons. Most importantly:

- You can control from multiple devices (so if I leave the room my wife can control Spotify with her phone)

If implemented correctly this would match the functionality of Sonos for a much lower price.

Update February 4th 2014: Okay, so Google has released the SDK now. Please start working on the functionality or at the very minimum give an update to the status...

Update February 19th 2014: 2,000 kudos, hundreds of replies (with more than a handful of cancelations). Apparently Spotify Germany has confirmed Chromecast support is coming. An update would be nice

Update March 24th 2014: 2,500 kudos and still no update. Cancelled my subscription today. Sorry, but if you don't listen to your paying customers we will have to speak with our wallets.

@Arjen82 wrote:

EvilAaron

[quote=philmonty7]

So far I love Spotify and prefer it over Pandora 10 fold, however I would love to have a song added... It's an instrumental  by Buddy Emmons called "Night Life".  While you have this song it's a vocal, not the beautiful instrumental by Emmons.  I have this song on my iPad. Is there any way to get it into Spotify?  Thanks in advance, Phil Montalbano.[/quote]

As much as I don't hate spotify this was the one big reason I switched to Google Music, can upload 50,000 personal music tracks to their cloud to get seamlessly mixed with the 35 million or whatever songs in ones All Access subscription. So whatever the missing content one finds or the innevitable missing local indie small groups can be added to the collection by each individual user.

When on Spotify I had to leave the Spotify app and open another service or a local player like dbpoweramp to play missing songs. Not convenient.

Basi

Why are you filtering Sony Bravia out? No cast support for this Smart TV....

Have a brand New Sony Bravia TV with 'built in' Chromecast...but the Spotify Android App doesnt' recognize it.

It DOES work with other apps, HBO, Youtube for example.  It does work with the Chromecast dongle for me.

But it seems silly to have a dongle in a tv that has the same product 'built in'

Any solutions?

JW