Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add support for Google ChromeCast

Will you be adding support to the ChromeCast that Google announced today? Would be great to be able to easily stream music from all my devices to my receiver and tv.

Please see the Api information here: https://developers.google.com/cast/

Update: implementing ChromeCast is superior to using the Chrome browser plugin to move a tab with the Spotify web interface to your TV for multiple reasons. Most importantly:

- You can stream higher fidelity

- You can stream from every device, not only from a computer/laptop

- You can control from multiple devices (so if I leave the room my wife can control Spotify with her phone)

If implemented correctly this would match the functionality of Sonos for a much lower price.

Update February 4th 2014: Okay, so Google has released the SDK now. Please start working on the functionality or at the very minimum give an update to the status...

Update February 19th 2014: 2,000 kudos, hundreds of replies (with more than a handful of cancelations). Apparently Spotify Germany has confirmed Chromecast support is coming. An update would be nice

Update March 24th 2014: 2,500 kudos and still no update. Cancelled my subscription today. Sorry, but if you don't listen to your paying customers we will have to speak with our wallets.

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce one of your most requested features here in The Spotify Idea Exchange is here. Spotify now works with your Chromecast.

With Chromecast, listening at home is easy. Simply plug in and cast music directly from your phone or tablet. Play, skip, browse and search using the Spotify app--all Spotify users will get the on demand experience on Chromecast. Oh, and feel free to make calls, watch a video or play games - the music will keep playing. Even if your battery runs out.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Spotify on Chromecast from SpotifyCares on Vimeo.

Comments
Fred

"Music for everyone" - that's the message that greet us when we enter spotify.com.  It's time you add "unless you use chromecast".

This thread is another sad example that shows that this forum has no connection to the developers at Spotify. 5020 kudos at current count, links to api and sdk, but you have other priorities? 

Spotify may love music, but do you love us who pay you every month? Show us some love and get this done!

palmada

This!

Reil

I've just cancelled my Spotify Subscription in favor for Google Play Music, specifically because Google Play Music supports Chromecast (go figure) and because Spotify's web app still uses Spotify's weird ports, which are blocked at my workplace (instead of port 80).

erfu

To everyone cancelling due to lack of Chromecast support, make sure to specify that in the "reason for cancelling" field.

If I remember correctly, I had to click "other reason" or something like that, before I got a chance to type Chromecast.

cc_star

Chromecast is unbelievably easy to use, once you've used it to listen to your collection in Google's 'Play Music' any other method seems overly complicated

Reduces the need to develop & maintain dedicated apps on things like game consoles too, which is overkill once you've used something as simple & fast as Chromecast

The fact Spotify still say 'Not right now' is bizarre.

MildDubstep

This is unfortunate, I'll use Rdio in the meantime which has this capability from their app. 

though

i really enjoy the spotify app but not offering chromecast support is just baffling.  with all of the other online music options available that DO support chromecast, it's time for customers to use their wallet and support those other services that DO offer chromecast support.

spotify: get with it!

sjbax09
Their reluctance to support Chromecast has lot them quite a few customers already and more people will keep leaving. The only reason I haven't yet is because I don't really like the Google AA user interface 😕
mat-spotify

Watched this thread for a while and have concluded there is no point in paying any further attention to spotify.

JeromeFr

This is a must-have feature. I was thinking about moving to Google Music All-Access because Spotify doesn't support casting to a Chromecast but I will wait a few weeks to see if this features is getting developped.