Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add support for Google ChromeCast

Will you be adding support to the ChromeCast that Google announced today? Would be great to be able to easily stream music from all my devices to my receiver and tv.

Please see the Api information here: https://developers.google.com/cast/

Update: implementing ChromeCast is superior to using the Chrome browser plugin to move a tab with the Spotify web interface to your TV for multiple reasons. Most importantly:

- You can stream higher fidelity

- You can stream from every device, not only from a computer/laptop

- You can control from multiple devices (so if I leave the room my wife can control Spotify with her phone)

If implemented correctly this would match the functionality of Sonos for a much lower price.

Update February 4th 2014: Okay, so Google has released the SDK now. Please start working on the functionality or at the very minimum give an update to the status...

Update February 19th 2014: 2,000 kudos, hundreds of replies (with more than a handful of cancelations). Apparently Spotify Germany has confirmed Chromecast support is coming. An update would be nice

Update March 24th 2014: 2,500 kudos and still no update. Cancelled my subscription today. Sorry, but if you don't listen to your paying customers we will have to speak with our wallets.

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce one of your most requested features here in The Spotify Idea Exchange is here. Spotify now works with your Chromecast.

With Chromecast, listening at home is easy. Simply plug in and cast music directly from your phone or tablet. Play, skip, browse and search using the Spotify app--all Spotify users will get the on demand experience on Chromecast. Oh, and feel free to make calls, watch a video or play games - the music will keep playing. Even if your battery runs out.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Spotify on Chromecast from SpotifyCares on Vimeo.

Comments
Lunderhage

Come on! Paying customers must be of greater importance than "partners".

Gait

respectless

tsint

A year has now passed since this idea was posted, and still no proper feedback from Spotify than 'not right now'....

Anthrow
Its funny how smaller corporates listen to their fan base to improve their product/services at all times. Its also funny that soon to be ex market leaders think that they dictate the way users have to use their product. Make no mistake Spotify, with your current arrogant attitude you will suffer a fate like Nokia. Your arrogant way of forcing users to purchase new expensive hardware equipment is plain retarded. 4 months ago I purchased an expensive Marantz AVR which only supports "Spotify" and not "Spotify connect". If I want this functionality I have to spend another €1200 for a new 2015 model. Retarded... right? Can't you see how inefficient your Spotify connect solution is? You are a software/service developer. Don't mess around with stuff you don't understand. With Chromecast you can extend your service to millions of users. Due to the lack of chromecast support and lack of community feedback about this subject I already canceled my Spotify subscription and joined Deezer. I will return to Spotify once you guys drop your arrogant attitude and implement chromecast support. If you won't change the attitude you will most likely not be a noticable player in the audio streaming bussiness in the future.
iainshreeve

I'm a premium member here but there are 30 days free for all Chromecast users over at Google All Access. I'm going to give it a try.

Andrews32

Well, here we are at the one year anniversary of asking for this service. Nearly 5,100 kudos. Think of how many quit without ever posting here. For all those people waiting "just a bit longer" for Spotify, there's no reason to wait:

http://www.cnet.com/news/a-birthday-gift-from-35-dollar-chromecast-get-30-dollars-of-google-play-mus...

You now get THREE free months of Google Music streaming when you buy a Chromecast. So you get the player for essentially 5 bucks while trying out their service, plus you get all the other advantages of Chromecast. There's no reason to continue to ask Spotify, it's obvious they don't care. Even if they tease us at this point and say they're "working on it," how many months for it take for them to finally release it? 

Look at how many apps support Chromecast:

https://www.google.com/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html

I got tired of clicking "show more" after seeing a couple hundred different apps. Spotify doesn't even think you're worth enough as a customer to explain why they can't match those hundreds of other developers. 

draiwn

Goodbye Spotify, I waited too long for Chromecast support.

Btw it will never be supported by Spotify unless they cancel Sonos contract which might not happened...

You will have to choose between kind paying customers and Sonos contract... or other service will eat your business guys.

I've just cancelled my Spotify Premium Subscription in favor of Google Play Music, only because Google Play Music supports Chromecast.

jornhd

You already have Spotify Connect which acts pretty much the same. Can't you just make ChromeCast found on the WiFi appear as a Spotify Connect device?

Dangit

Dangit Spotify Team Hurry up.

...your slowness is unbelievable almost like a old german company where tousands of instances need to be asked.

Maybe you guys were growing too much... tisktisk

Kiiv

Soptify today update :

"Nouveauté : vous voulez utiliser Spotify Connect sur n'importe quelle enceinte ? Branchez un téléphone ou une tablette à un chargeur et à vos enceintes. Connectez-vous au même compte Spotify sur un autre appareil et utilisez-le comme une télécommande."

Really nice ! I'll buy an other phone or tablet just to stream my music ! Great idea guys !

And what about adding chromecast suport instead ???