Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
burnsn78

Come on Spotify! There are 5751 votes for this! Please take it on board. You don't have to use explicit lyrics to be cool!

bobbycrook1
I think you have summed it up very well with your post, I completley agree
!
redeemercity

It is hard to believe that this feature doesn't exist on such a great service. As the user, I should be able to control what I want to listen to and what I want my kids to hear. Please add this feature!

Brianwrhodes

Apparently, Spotify doesn't ever read or care about any ideas submitted by its users. This post was submitted 4 years ago and has thousands of people who want a simple explicit music feature, but nothing has been done. Pandora and iHeart have had this feature for a long time, so it looks like Spotify couldn't care less. This is a deal breaker for me and I'll be sure to spread the news to others considering a music service.

malcolmcathcart

Hi all, I'm trying to keep up pressure on this one through twitter, using the tag #SpotifyExplicitButton, and always including -at- SpotifyCares in the tweet. Please do help out if you're on twitter!

Morcilla

Can some one from Spotify comment back to the community the thoughts around this feature? It's a necessity with children. 

sc00terG

It's a great idea, but I don't want to skip songs with explicit language, only swap them for radio edit version if I tuck a box. I subscribe to playlist and have young children, I want to listen to the playlists in full, but also at times with my family. 

twosnjuk

I would like just a DON'T SHOW EXPLICIT  option ....

Theoretically this feature would be great, but in practical terms it wouldn't work for me.  There are a lot of songs on my playlist not marked as explicit that I definitely wouldn't want my kids listening to... Skin on Skin by Queens of the Stone Age, for example.

sc00terG
I understand that some content may not be suitable even if all explicit content was removed or swapped for radio edit. However this would be a massive improvement on Spotify's current lack of control.