Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
JGBJR

For Christ's sake, why can't I **bleep**'n filter out God Damm trashy content?

corybowe

Yep. That does it for me. I'm out as well. Cancelling my subscription.  Filtering is even more important when my kids can ask Alexa for a song.

nileshthakkar
It's great to read people making a stance and moving, but where are you moving to?? Apple Music seems an option but others including amazon music have the same problem.
APdaBOSS

Yes

corybowe

I switched back to Amazon Music. It works pretty well with Alexa and has way more clean versions of songs.  They also have stations that have (Clean) in the name, so you just specify clean when picking a station with Alexa.  It wouldn't have taken much for spotify to have kept the people that are leaving here by just releasing a statement stating their intentions.  Seems like they're fine with it.

geknip

lol

DrEnthusiastic
I'm moving to Pandora, it's not as good but at least it can filter.
corybowe
Let me know how it works. I’ve never seen their premium service.
vgullotta

We should turn this thread into a review thread of all the other services out there. Even just to show Spotify how stupid they are for not monitoring their own community or taking care of their customers.

Davygravy-79

I am in the process of migrating my data to a new service to get a family subscription with explicit filter enabled.

I am using  https://www.mooval.de to migrate which seems to take playlists , saved albums and likes over cleanly.

A rival service _with_family_filter_ have a similar offer to the one that snagged me on spotify of 99 pence for 3 months on an invividual account at the moment.

I can't believe I have finally given up and moved over this issue after being a subscriber for almost 4 years.

New service = Deezer