Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android][Other] Integration of Spotify and BMW Connected Drive - Android

So this idea has been implemented for iOS, can we see some Android love please???

The Connected Drive app is available on the Google Pllay store but it's only showing integration with Twitter and some other parts of the phone, would love to see Spotify added to this!

BMW Connected

Updated: 2015-10-06

Hey everyone, the new 2016 BMW 7 Series is here – with Spotify built in. Pair your Android (with the Spotify app 3.8.0 update or above) to control music straight from the dashboard. 

Due to Android OS phone manufacturer compatibility issues, the Spotify integration currently only works with the new 2016 BMW 7 Series. We are working hard to enable Spotify for all compatible BMW Connected Drive and Mini Connected vehicles.

Comments

Waiting for BMW 3 (F30 2015) integration on Android.

neur0x

Waiting for BMW 5 Series (F10/F11 2015) integration on Android. Not sure why you would mark this as implemented as is only implemented on a single car when there are dozens of models not working!

poisike

BMW website now lists Spotify Android app as compatible > http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/bmw...ify/index.html
It does not show up for me in NBT using Nexus 6P. Does anyone here have a officially supported Android phone and can test if this really works now?

List of supported phones from BMW website:
HTC One (M8)
HTC One Mini 2
LG G Flex
LG G2
LG G2 Mini
LG G3
LG G4
LG Nexus 4
Motorola Moto E
Motorola Moto X
Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen)
Samsung Galaxy Alpha
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
Samsung Galaxy S4 mini
Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom
Sony Xperia Z
Sony Xperia Z Ultra
Sony Xperia Z2
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Vertu Constellation
Yota YotaPhone 2

faithless1108

Hey,

the Link you posted is not working...

I've got a HTC One (M9) i would try it... What are the prerequisites?

Cheerz

poisike

Sorry, correct link is http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/bmw_apps_2013/apps/spotify/index.html

For some reason i can't edit my previous post.

M9 is not listed on BMW website, so i guess there is not much hope...

faithless1108

I just tried it.. doesn't work

But I can't belive that this should be an hardware issue... One M9 and One M8 do have the same Software-State afaik....

poisike

I have heard that BMW planned to release this feature only for the phones they have tested. According to them, there is some kind of USB audio issue on most Android devices... So it would be great if someone with officially supported phone could try this. I already faked mu Nexus 7 to show it's Nexus 4 using build.prop but this didn't change anything.

faithless1108

I just installed BMW Connected APP & Spotify on my Nexus 7. These are the exact same Versions as on my M9. So I'm not going downstairs to try it with the Car... 

How did you changed your Phones Identity? So i could try to change it to M8...

I just phoned with BMW Germany (ConnectedDrive Support) the bloke meant that there is actually no support for Android on this feature at the moment.

faithless1108

Nexus 7 has CM12 on it... Just for protocol.

poisike

@faithless1108 wrote:

I just installed BMW Connected APP & Spotify on my Nexus 7. These are the exact same Versions as on my M9. So I'm not going downstairs to try it with the Car... 

How did you changed your Phones Identity? So i could try to change it to M8...

I just phoned with BMW Germany (ConnectedDrive Support) the bloke meant that there is actually no support for Android on this feature at the moment.

But why does BMW website clearly list that it is compatible? (You need to select Your country for the site to display both IOS and Android app links).

To change Your device information, You need root and then You can edit build.prop file. But like I wrote, i already tried that. My device showed up as Nexus 4 in NBT, but Spotify still did not show up.

I did some searching and found first third party app that actually shows up in NBT (on Android). It's SmartThings Mobile, unfortunately it's useless for me. But at least it seems that third party apps are now supported on Android.