Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Auto-delete played and/or downloaded podcast episodes

This suggestion has been posted before, but it needs to be suggested again until it is implemented.

There absolutely needs to be an option to delete played episodes from the episode list. Not everyone will use this, but many will, and it's considered basic functionality on other podcast software by now. The same option should exist for downloaded episodes.

If Spotify wants to compete with established podcast software, they need to at least match the basic feature set. This is not a "bells and whistles" kind of feature.

Hey folks,

Thanks for staying with us and waiting for the updates on this one.

Happy to let you know that this suggestion has been implemented 🙂

If you have trouble finding the feature, you can post in our Help Boards. And if you have any suggestions on how to improve it, you can post a new idea.

Cheers!

Comments
JayTBennett

I've switched to Spotify for podcasts away from Google because of wear os and Android auto support but I'm amazed this isn't a feature. Absolutely need a setting that automatically deletes downloaded podcast episodes after they've been marked as played.

aerojoeyseo

The podcast I listen to will soon be Spotify only and they specifically mentioned in their last show that if I hated it before, give Spotify a go again as things have improved. I did and it still doesn't have this basic function, amongst many other things podcast specific.

Until they address it, I'd rather give up that podcast and find another show to listen than switch over. Not spending my time manually deleting hundreds of episodes that I listen to each month.

Hope this idea is not just get thrown into the bin again. I see that the request was coined again back in April, system marked as good idea in July, but still no real review / feedback has been provided. Goodbye Spotify once again.

Asjarrell

I’m in the same boat with several podcasts I like that are going to only be available on Spotify! It’s not worth using their clunky app. I’ve noticed that the podcasts that have already switched to Spotify only do eventually still get released on Apple Podcasts later, it’s just sometimes many months later, so I guess I’ll be waiting. There are plenty of other podcasts to listen to while we wait for those to be available. 

GW74

What is the latest on this? I don't like the sudden appearance of "episodes" which I never wanted and have nothing to do with my music. It's very annoying and I'm thinking of deleting my account. 

xyjp_f-aiuc

I recently switched to an android phone so I thought I'd give spotify a go for podcasts. Without the most basic function of deleting/ automatically hiding played podcasts it becomes to much hassle to listen spotify whilst driving.

Until spotify sort this out, I'll just keep my old iPhone and use their podcast app for travel 

RebGrenn

I recently switched to Spotify from another podcast player. Disappointed this basic function is not available.  

Novy
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-11-29

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

rh_-bj39z3tfe

if an episode was downloaded and then listened to it should automatically delete, no question.

I also dislike that you can't simply remove an episode from your list of episodes to the shows you follow. There should be a simple remove button rather than having to mark it as played

Lastly, a setting to only keep the last 3,5,10 episodes. Apple podcasts does this and there's just some shows that idc about if they're a week or longer old. Meanwhile they just have to sit on my list forever

Mario
Status changed to: Implemented

Hey folks,

Thanks for staying with us and waiting for the updates on this one.

Happy to let you know that this suggestion has been implemented 🙂

If you have trouble finding the feature, you can post in our Help Boards. And if you have any suggestions on how to improve it, you can post a new idea.

Cheers!

matthewwbrown

So happy to see that this is going to be implemented. I can't wait for this feature. I keep hearing the same episodes I've already listened to. Thank you Spotify!