Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Show Chromecast on Desktop's Device List

The idea is simple. Why create new features and options for connecting to a new device when its already developed?

Spotify can currently change the device playing music within a LAN in a way that is so seamless I jumped the first time when there were no delay. Why not use this already impressively implemented feature for chromecast? If chromecast was available as a device then it would make it a lot easier for us to use on the computer too, which is the main music player when anyone's home.

My guess is that a chromecast can't truly act as a device, but there should be a way to do this through some back-end trickery. Especially if there are unlicensed 3rd party programs that can cast (popcorntime for example).

original.png

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Desktop users, as pointed out by @MattSuda here.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community 💚

Comments

OMG it was just a dream! It doesnt work:(

jmvandon

just bought a ChromeCast Audio yesterday,  but discover that I CANNOT cast  Spotify  music from my mac!  reading this forum, i'm very disappointed...  I'll be forced to leave spotify to use other music source; anything  from a chrome browser and it be be fine...  so disappointing form Spotify...   please tell me you'll fix this wird limitation....  thanks for your upcoming success.

@jmvandon

There's an issue at the moment which is Under Investigation at the moment, check this link below.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Chromecast-Visual-information-not-being-sent-to-moni...

Well that issue reffered to that link. In my case , this work for me at this very moment on my Samsung phone. Cover art , previous / next.. 

wokawaka

Got a chromecast audio and was very dissapointer that this does not work.

Considering going over to another music service that supports it as I only use Spotify on my PC I dont really care for the mobile part..

Thought it worked for a second, but it was because I had recently been connected via my phone. Still doesn't work for me.

bn3t

Indeed very dispointing not to have this feature.

rigjri

Good job Spotify, just a matter of time before other streaming services build this in and you will be too late..

emburyheck

Is there any developments on this?

I found myself considering buying a tablet as a controller, I hate tablet computers.

My laptop/desktop should be able to do this task.

It's a real bugbear, I even tried out Google Play as an alternative to Spotify, casting was fine but it's awful in comparisson to Spotify.

feathers1

The developers at Rogue Amoeba has great things going on, I've used their software Airfoil previously when I sent audio to Airport Express. Sounds promising to perhaps come around this!!

http://weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2016/06/28/an-update-on-chromecast-support-in-airfoil/