Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Add support for Apple Silicon (ARM64 on Mac)

Feature request:

Add support for Apple Silicon in a future Spotify release on Mac OS.

Apple have recently released a new generation of Macs based on their own Apple Silicon. I hope that Spotify will prioritize native support for this new CPU architecture.  If so the best music platform on the Mac, will continue running great natively on the new generation Mac hardware.

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for bringing your feedback to the Community Idea Exchange and participating in this Beta test!

Your input has been invaluable and helped us tweak the app to make full use of the new CPU architecture.

We're happy to announce that the app is now out of Beta and can be downloaded from our website. You should automatically get the correct version for your Mac's CPU and all updates will be automatic as well, just the way it was in the past.

This idea is now officially implemented! Thanks once more for all your votes and posts.

Happy listening! 🎶

Comments
Mischiiii

Yeah please update Spotify soon. I mean it works good with Rosetta 2 but a native App would be even more snappy and better for Battery life I guess.

hackeron

Wow, still no M1? - I guess it's time to cancel my Spotify membership and switch to Apple Music.

illcor1316

I frequently see Spotify in this list (I rarely see Safari, Notion, Apple Music, other M1-optimized apps). I wonder if this is something that would be improved with recompiling to target M1.

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 3.51.53 PM.png

hei_zen

Still no ARM-Version?

After the Apple Watch debacle, this continues to feel like Spotify is treating Apple users as second class customers.

lanceseabourn

Hurry up! I've heard developers say in most cases they literally just copied and pasted the code back into Xcode and hit "Re-Compile" with the checkbox for Universal Binary selected and then, bam, done. You would have to thoroughly test after that, to see if you need to tweak a few things, but for a lot fo fairly simple apps, that was evidently all it took. 

hackeron

Wow, just trying Apple Music and it has really improved in the past few years - can now share playlists with friends, the radio stations are better, lyrics, integration with HomePod, seamless multi-device (like on Spotify) etc. 

I'm quite impressed from the last time I tried it, don't think I'll be come back to Spotify this time. Spotify don't seem to want Apple users as customers?  🤷🏼

Michelp2

I like Apple Music too, but it's too bad that Apple doesn't support platforms like Xbox, Playstation, and those types of devices.

matutino

Honestly, I just can't understand how is it possible that many months after Apple announced that they would move to arm64 an app as important as Spotify is still not optimised. I really can't understand they still didn't make the effort. For me this is a demonstration of "not caring".

florianinnocent

The fact that they are submitting this topic to a vote is just hilarious, or sad.

I really wonder how the Apple developers at Spotify spend their days, beside moving a few icons here or there time to time.

The only reason I keep paying for Spotify is for the content of their playlists and because I'm a bit lazy to try to move my selection to Apple Music. 

cmrmaria109

My Apple M1-based laptop is my primary device, its unfortunate that the current Spotify version uses so much battery and crashes in sleep. I sometime just use my phone just to listen to music while working.