Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Bring back volume normalization toggle

The latest version of the Spotify desktop client [1.0.1.1060.gc75ebdfd] misses the crucial option "Set the same volume level for all tracks". It is no longer possible to disable volume normalization.

This is downgrade is atrocious. Removing granularity from the options screen and forcing heavy audio processing degrades the value of Spotify to something suitable for non-paid background listening on Bluetooth boomboxes or laptop speakers. 

While normalization is extremely useful for background music, the option of disabling it improves sound quality, particularly for listening to certain quetly recorded albums and classical music. It's a switch in the UI and should be brought back as soon as possible.

It seems to be the case that the normalization toggle never disabled all processing of the audio signal. But the option to disable volume normalization, which was added in early 2009, made the audio quality of Spotify usable for dynamic music and quality gear even before this service offered high bitrate streaming (mid 2009).

This setback in audio quality arrives at an unfortunate time when Spotify comptetitors are scrambling to provide lossless, cd-quality streams in several streaming intense markets. It's sad to see Spotify level the playing field by crippling its (partially) native desktop app, which could be a competetive edge. The competition, even the ones aiming for the audiophile crows, typically rely on useless, offline incompatible browser based offerings for desktop and laptop users.

Interested parties can participate in this Twitter thread.

2015-05-18

Hey everyone, this feature returned to our Desktop app with the 1.0.5 update. Thanks for continuing to bring your feedback to the Spotify Community.

Comments
keleison

Please bring back the normalization toggle switch.

JazzMaster3000
prophead

so any feedback from Spotify on the issue?

The desktop version is completely useless as we speak.

Se more details and examples in this thread:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Level-Normalization-Setting-gone-in-late...

prophead

I dont get it, why is it so hard for services today to just let the music be played back exactly as the producer/label/distro wanted it? Like we do on a CD player?

Just dont mess with the original sound, that is all....

level compressors on RMS or Peak, playback resolution compression, these are all just items to break the music.

I havent heard good music since the arrivel of mp3 in the late 90s, and it has only gotten worse with youtube, soundcloud and now with Spotify.

I want CD quality, untouched, unmessed with. Is that so hard?

miguellazaro

Please include an option to disable ALL processing in the audio. Hide it the way you want, but give the audio professionals and audiophile the option. Thanks

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it
Updated: 2015-03-19

2015-03-19 Hey folks, please continue to leave your feedback in this idea thread. We will post here as soon as we have an update, thanks!

reih

Please give us something better than the heavily processed audio on most FM radio stations. When spotify is degrading tot FM or even AM radio station audio quality I can better go back and start listening to my CD collection. The audio quality should be your top priority spotify. I personally think it is even more importend then the color of the desktop app for example.

Wavod

Maybe time to start thinking 'Hi-Res Spotify' and a way to level the volume of various tracks without any compression etc.to spoil the experience. 

Seems the problem gets worse the better system you use for playback, as decent amps and speakers are not so forgiving with compression or whatever techniques are being used.

No doubt we'll get there in the end, Spotify?? ........ or someone else will !!!!!!!

Si-Fi

I recently bought a pair of expensive earbuds specifically so I could hear music at higher fidelity. Recently Spotify updated on me and removed the normalization switch making my purchase moot.

Some companies like Tidal are trying to increase audio quality, Spotify seems intent on decreasing it.

prophead

Now v1.0.2

Still no

- Level Normalization "OFF" option

- Minimize to tray

Bad Spotify, bad!

If the next update still dont have these two important options Im uninstalling the whole thing and will go for WiMP.

Ive already canceled the subscription.