Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Mac] Touch bar integration

Those on macOS, may love this concept that was created prior to the new Macbook Pro release. I think it would be awesome if Spotify actually implemented it.

See pictures!

27496375661_9907058f5c_b.jpg
macbook-oled-martin.jpg
macbook-oled-spotify.jpg
Updated: 2017-02-24

Hey folks, we've shipped Touch Bar support! Thanks for letting us know this something you wanted to see. Just so you know we won't be adding track info as it doesn't align with the guidelines for building Touch Bar features. (i.e. it isn’t a ‘button’). Please continue to leave your feedback around the Desktop app here and we'll keep sharing it with our internal teams. Thanks!

Comments
Adigine

Thanks so much for including touchbar support on newer macbook pros. I know this is a pretty slender segment of users right now, so I appreciate the quick adoption. I especially enjoy beig able to control spotify from the touch bar while I'm using another app. I like that I don't have to go to spotify to control it.

I have one suggestion on how to improve this feature further, though. Rather than having a long scrub bar in this view, it would be much more useful to have quick access to my playlists. It would be excellent if I could quickly browse through my playlists on spotify while I'm working in another app.

Thanks for your attention! Hope you can implement something like this.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Implemented
Updated: 2017-02-24

Hey folks, we've shipped Touch Bar support! Thanks for letting us know this something you wanted to see. Just so you know we won't be adding track info as it doesn't align with the guidelines for building Touch Bar features. (i.e. it isn’t a ‘button’). Please continue to leave your feedback around the Desktop app here and we'll keep sharing it with our internal teams. Thanks!

Renzskas

Not sure if this has been posted before, but this tool should give you what you're looking for with the track info: https://github.com/xzzz9097/Muse

MichelMake

So track info can't be added since it is "not a button". Would it be an idea to print this info on the background of the bar that shows the time slider of the track that is currently playing? 

It would be nice to not have to switch windows every time I want to check what track is currently playing.

Tsac77

FYI, I have seen several other apps use text on their touchbar. Often times that text is clickable, which perhaps makes it a button, allowing it to get around the guidelines. In one of my other music apps, when you press the song info text or album art, it takes you to the music player that is playing that song. So it's both the information everybody in this thread is asking for, and also a functional button.

matthewye

@Tsac77and what app would that be?

aremadeofthis

In addition to see the artist and track names when Spotify is not the active window, I'd like to be able to find out from which playlist the current track is playing from.

Currently, the green Spotify button only makes Spotify the active window. Could you include the artist and track names to this button and also make it take you to the respective playlist it is playing from?

spliket

I agree with others. Showing the track info should definitely be a thing. As others have said, just make the track info a button to open spotify or open spotify and take you to the playlist from which it's being played as @aremadeofthis suggested. There are ways around the "it's not a button" thing. 

Renzskas

https://github.com/xzzz9097/Muse has just been updated to allow saving songs and removing songs from your library. I've been using it and it's awesome! It also gives the track info like I mentioned earlier. You can download it from here directly: https://github.com/xzzz9097/Muse/releases/tag/v2.0-beta.1 and/or watch a demo of the save song functionality here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW4QomjDNN8

spliket

Hey @Renzskas, it seems that you have to use a keystroke to activate Muse / the Touch Bar. Is that correct? Or, does it live in the touchbar next to the default set when it's not active?