Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Option if Spotify links should open native Spotify app or Webplayer

Seems like Spotify keeps pushing this issue aside because not enough people are complaining about it. I've actually seen a good amount of posts on the community boards about it but none of them seem to have gained traction with the powers that be, claiming its a non-issue and the post gets closed. I disagree, wholeheartedly.

Please bring this option back! I don't use the web player... ever. And, I don't want to now have to start copying and pasting the links into spotify app. Call me lazy. The advanced settings used to have the option to have links open in the desktop app. But that option has recently disappeared. Seems like a very obvious and useful feature, and just strange to suddenly remove that functionality. 

My friends and I are always trading spotify links via text and emails and it's incredibly frustrating that it now doesn't automatically open in the desktop app like it used to. If I say pretty please, with a link to a cherry on top, would you consider this a legitimate request? 

Updated on 2021-02-11

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one.

You should now have the option to open song links directly in the Spotify app!

Cheers 🙂

Comments
osornios

Clicking on a playlist opens a new tab with it, and when you click on 'Play on Spotify' it asks if you have the app installed. When you click 'yes' it opens a launch application dialog, where normally you get to choose Spotify as the default program to launch.

Try with this one:

https://open.spotify.com/user/osornios/playlist/1XqyTQfA3eWnwPlsz2mR2c

Muffinigans

For me it's the opposite. When I'm trying to play something off a website, I want it to play in Spotify Web Player. I have the link to the web player in my Bookmarks (Firefox), and the 'play in desktop app' option has been DISABLED this whole time, yet every time I click a Spotify magnet link, it opens the desktop app --- and never, not ONCE, did it actually play the song that I found online. The app just opens and nothing happens. I removed the app from Firefox's default go-to apps for Spotify links, and I changed settings in the desktop app to NOT permit websites to open songs with it. Still... always goes to desktop, and never actually plays.

wdebakker

Can this option be implemented for people who are logged in? That when you receive the login screen, you see an 'Open in the Desktop Client'. This saves signing in on a machine you rather don't want to sign in or eventually need to sign out after letting the player open it.

Would really appreciate it.

mnearents

It seems the settings icon has disappeared from the web player. Trying to figure out how/where to change this setting...

Rytkoenen

Without doubts the most annoying thing about Spotify, and I agree that it should be obvious that music should be opened in the ap and not in the browser.
They even have a "Install app" link in the web player which makes it even more frustrating since that's where I want my music to open in the first place... :'(

RoyalMela

Well, there is none. 

My links always open in a web player. I can never get them to open in app. I don't want the web player, I use app. It is million times better, and I see no reason why I should use web player. 

Tell me where I can totally ignore the web player, and just use the app from here to eternity.

Guido
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2019-11-22

Repost of this closed idea.

Marking as new idea. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found: here

Second_to_None

I 100% agree. There's a reason I'm at my desktop - I have the app installed. It should always default to the app and then the web player if the user doesn't have it installed.

viking_beef

This issue has been around since ~2017. Please make the desktop player worth an install.

NikoPikoNiko

Spotify, where you at? No updates? Looks like Im not alone here, this is gaining votes daily. Now more than ever, this function would be nice. We're all sitting at our computers trading music to stay occupied during the pandemic. Im so so so curious why you took this functionality away. Seriously, what is the point of having the desktop app that doesn't automatically open links natively? I speculate that you're trying to discontinue the desktop app, and you purposefully removed the link functionality to drive people to the web player. Just be honest with us! What gives?