Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Displaying album credits

I understand that including all album artwork is considered a premium feature, but at the same time, all people who participated in the making of an album should be credited for their work. Musicians, composers, producers, engineers and everybody involved - plus all the "special thanks" - people, deserve to be credited.

This could be implemented by simply displaying the album credits in text form, along with the original front album cover and tracklist. No lyrics, pictures or bonus features, just the credits. Not linking, but displaying the credits along with the album front cover + tracklist by default, in all versions of Spotify. The complete album artwork could still be a Spotify Premium-feature, with this approach.

This is not a feature for the listener - most people don't care much about songwriters or who plays bass on track five of this album, but from the perspective of the music creators, this is very important - their (ok, our) careers depend on these little things. Being associated with the music you've recorded (or written, engineered for et c) is still a very important part of building a career in this business.

Updated on 2018-02-05

Hey folks! We’re very excited to announce the launch of the first iteration of Spotify’s new songwriter credits feature.

Spotify users around the world can now view songwriter and producer credits for tracks on the desktop platform and on iOS. 

On desktop, simply right-click on a track and select “Show Credits” from the menu of options to view information on performers, songwriters and producers.

To read more about the information we're sharing please click here.

song writer credits.jpg

Comments
glfidalgo

I agree with this idea, but it seems that Spotify don't care about it cause this sugestion is waiting to be implemented since 2012 and until now nothing happened. Why? The information needed is printed on albuns cover.

This is ALSO a feature for listeners! As a listener I would like to be informed on the people who participated and e.g. the samples that were included in a track. I don't care if this information is premium or not. Just add it!

ilcaneferoce

I am a new user and love spotify. As a music service the album credits implementation should be at the top of the "things to do" list...it's unfair to musician and to listeners that are somehow deprived of a part of the music and have to go back and forth from the web to check out credits. Isn't this new "liquid music" meant to replace the physical format? 

chrisjwmartin

I'd really like to see writing credits by track on Spotify. It would help greatly in creating playlists by a particular songwriter.

themattitude

At the very least the writer(s) of a track should be included, especially for covers and compilation albums.

jonathanmort

Great idea! I'd love to follow producers and sound engineers around spotify. It's a great way to discover all kinds of music you wouldn't normally come across. There's so much more work going on for an album then songwriting and performing, and being able to know and follow the people behind the scenes would be a great addition to this service.

I wonder how easily obtainable the data is? Do studios release all of that infrmation in the same way? Would Spotify have to find and enter all of the data on their own...?

hgaleano96

This is so important and this is dated. What is the hold up? We need credits. What would you do without musicians?

hgaleano96

Btw this is definitley a feature for the listener, liner notes are for us to read. And if Im checking out a record I want to know who I'm listening to and check out other things they've been credited in.

redline314

Please add it!  I know you don't particularly care about music creators, but listeners will love this feature, and it will be an excellent discovery tool for listeners, as well as keeping them engaged while listening rather than turning their attention elsewhere.  Keep them on the platform, keep them engaged, and keep linking them to music they like by the creators they like!

bowyang

I'd really like to know who's playing!