Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Let users turn off some or all desktop notifications, e.g. "Your friend ______ just joined Spotify."

So according to the @SpotifyCares Twitter account, there's no way at all to turn off desktop notifications. None. Which seems insane to me! Spotify is the only app that sees fit to blow up my OSX dock with notifications multiple times every week, yet there's no functionality to let me control which notifications I see - or even if I see them at all!

So, obviously:I'm proposing that Spotify let users control this! I, like most people, do not have a deep personal relationship with 100% of my Facebook friends, so I don't need to know whenever some random person I went to high school with gets Spotify. I have zero interest in sending them anything or interacting with them on Spotify in any way, so it benefits neither me nor Spotify to pop up that red notification and nag me to view it before it goes away. 

Anyways, yeah! This all feels super obvious, but since the @SpotifyCares Twitter account told me to post this here, that's what I'm doing. "New idea:" STOP BUGGING ME WHEN PEOPLE I DON'T CARE ABOUT JOIN SPOTIFY. USE THE OSX DOCK NOTIFICATIONS SYSTEM RESPONSIBLY. Thank you.

Updated: 2015-11-18

Hey everyone. Now you can go to your the Notifications section of your Accounts page via Spotify.com and adjust both your in-app and email notifcations. 

Comments
Hexride

@Meredith 
I’m afraid this changes nothing. Or at least not in the desktop app.
I’m still being bothered with completely irrelevant notifications. There’s no justification to why this isn’t something the user can disable. The only rationale I can see is that Spotify depend on attention grabbing features like this to promote commercial sales. This nonsense has no place on a premium account.   
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11465285/Spotify%20notifications.png

rjk_46

Annoying

@meahtenoha

Not implemented. Mac Desktop app STILL shows big red notifications on the spotify icon in the dock for every single little detail. If I want to find about what new stuff is now avalible on spotify I would look for it, I dont want it forced down my eyeballs. Please just let me have the option to stop the notifications from showing up there!

keithndi
These notifications are very anoying. I use spotify less than other streaming services so I'm uninstalling it.
themightycake

It seems to be that if you have opted to follow an artist then you will receive notifications regardless.  That would make sense, since there is no point following an artist if you do not want to be kept informed of that artist's work on Spotify.

chizzlebear

Aperently you follow all artists you used the 'radio' for. Cause I follow like 40 artists now but I certainly never followed any artist.

This badge in the dock is so freaking annoying. They have no idea. Thinking about stopping my subscription because of this nonsense!

CrazyNL

Still getting notifications even though ell are turned off.  For me its a REASON to go back to APPLE. 

CrazyNL

You maybe able to adjust your notifications,. But you STILL Get NOTIFICATIONS of NEW items SPOTIFY is promoting.  GOOD luck turning them off!!!!