Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

(Mobile) Return repeat and queue buttons to Now Playing screen

The new UI for the Now Playing screen on mobile (iOS and Android) doesn't seem space-efficient. I understand that inevitably the design will be refreshed and changed, but, given the amount of unused screen space, I don't think it was necessary to move the view queue and repeat buttons into a separate menu. It seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to find space to these on the main screen, espcially considering how often many users make use of these features.

Note: Attached images show the Spotify iOS app version 8.4.91 on an iPhone SE compared to a previous iOS app version 8.4.81, I believe.

iOS Now playing menu.PNG
iOS Now playing Old.PNG
iOS Now playing.PNG

Updated on 2019-05-23

Hey folks, 

Just a heads up, that the Repeat and Queue buttons have returned to the Now Playing View on the mobile app. 

Screenshot_20190523-101212_2__01.jpg

The repeat button has moved to the left and you Queue can be found just below. 

Thanks!

Comments

Who could have allow this UI change?! Have you lost your mind? Waiting till next update, then moving whole family to apple music. You should consider to hide play button too. Somewhere into settings menu for example, cos that doesn't make sense too. 

nfx

@user-removed wrote:

Who could have allow this UI change?! Have you lost your mind? Waiting till next update, then moving whole family to apple music. You should consider to hide play button too. Somewhere into settings menu for example, cos that doesn't make sense too. 

They already fixed the ui on 8.4.96 (which isn’t on the AppStore yet) it was nice to see how quickly they changed it back and happy they replace the share button with something more useful like the queue box. I posted a screenshot in a earlier page 

lucasfernandog

I Have a iOS and my app is in the 8.4.96 version and this design is not available to me. What do I have to do to get you?

nfx

@lucasfernandog wrote:

I Have a iOS and my app is in the 8.4.96 version and this design is not available to me. What do I have to do to get you?

looks like it’s slowly rolling out for other users, instead of everyone getting it right away if updating to 8.4.96? It might be also be different if you’re not in the us, not sure just some speculation at this point now. 

LGRTTest

No worries. Now the repeat and shuffle features are completely misssing on the android platform. Android v8.4.95.785 does not have this feature. Insted you get a heart and stop selection, I guess they had to be original and do a Facebook thing. At least they were smart enough to bury the repeat button one menu deep behind the three dot selection on iOS, but you will soon find that the App Team at Spotify, and or the product managemet team has no brains, and this is what you get. They just **bleep** on their customers. Pick a different service, the Spotify UI is junk. 

Eckes

Also, why is the context menu now on the top right when it was so intuitive before to tap in the middle part of the screen?

I hate when function follows design and not the correct way: design follows function!

HM03

I've honestly hated a bunch of the changes that have been made to Spotify over the past few years and this hiding of the repeat button is really pushing me over the top. I don't know why different playlists on Spotify have different rules/layouts to them. Why can't I even use the now hidden repeat song feature in Daily Mix playlists? How confusing is it that different playlists have different feature sets? Why did swipe to queue stop working for a few weeks? Why can't I get a feature like Behind the Lyrics that just shows the lyrics without the stories? Who really cares about the looping canvases? Why are all the playlists Spotify playlists? Can I browse community playlists in the app? Why is the mobile app just getting harder and harder to navigate and organize? Why doesn't the iPad app support split screen or slide over. Those features have been out on iOS for over 3 years! How long does it take to implement a feature like that? 

Literally the only feature I care about with Spotify now is Discover Weekly. The UI is just so bad now, especially with the removal of the loop/repeat button. 

I'm honestly considering switching to Apple Music in the near future, once I can get my family on board. 

matt1409

Thank you Spotify for listening to your customers and adjusting the UX Design! With the new iOS Update, Spotify is now the app again, that I always loved to enjoy music.

punditbywords

Thanks Spotify.  It took a bit longer than some us were hoping; however, you guys listened to your customers and did a great job fixing this issue.  Well done.

thetkaeo

Thank you so much for fixing the now playing view! Everything is just much better now. Glad to see y'all listening to your users.